Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's your garden?

Ours looks good for the time of year - we had "the tractor guy" in early December to come plow it all under for the winter. Come a month from now and we'll have him back for a thorough tilling to get it ready for planting. We have a huge patch of wild onions off to one side of the garden and I see them this week peeking from the ground.

And the seed packets are here, ordered last month (6 varieties of various veggies that we like but can never find the bedding plants for). We've never been very successful with starting bedding plants from seed, so have decided that a seed mat (a heated thing to set the pots on) is what we need to try. Going to try to find one tomorrow during our planned shopping trip to "the city".

My heart quickens (well, nope, it's really my stomach) at the thought of spring and gardens and fresh garden veggies.

I was inspired by my recent interview with Vicki Robin about her new book "Blessing the Hands That Feed Us." You can hear our conversation
    at http://simpleliving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST/?p=562
    or Episode #17 at http://simpleliving.startlogic.com/i...ce=podcast.php

Gerald 'Jerry' Iversen

My garden is awaiting the pots on my balcony. The snow has just melted off the pots, and stores are now advertising garden supplies. I am imagining August already, a fully green balcony awash in herbs and veggies and flowers. And then I start to panic a bit - I have no seeds yet! And planting is 3-4 weeks away, and I need to get my bike assembled first....

We've made a fair amount of progress in the last 3 weeks. The garden is tilled (it tilled up well this year, to a nicely-plantable powder). One row of onions (will do another later so as to stagger) is in, as is a row of radishes. We're ready to put Brussels sprouts in, but the local nursery ran out, so waiting till our next out-of-town shopping trip to try to get some. Friday.

And DH is babying a tray of romaine, garden salsa peppers, and cucumber seedlings - all seeds he ordered. We've never been very successful at starting seedlings in the house, so invested in a seed mat and thermostat for it this year. So far it looks like a waste of our $57.00 (!!!). They're not looking too great.....
    Last edited by Blackdog Lin; 4-2-14 at 9:20pm. Reason: typos

Thread Information