Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of my Graduate Degree today

Yppej
    I also had an assistantship plus living stipend when I got my master's, and had more money in the bank when I finished than when I started.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I was lucky. I was in state in Arizona and since we were poor, I qualified for the maximum grants on Pell and also State Assistance and with tuition at NAU being $750 a semester my last semester, Fall 1990 - grants covered almost everything and I graduated with no debt whatsoever. Today this would not happen as tuition is much higher and grants won't cover everything. I was truly lucky that Arizona had such low tuition for a number of years - now it's much, much, much higher and I personally would be looking into a trade were I young. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I was lucky. I was in state in Arizona and since we were poor, I qualified for the maximum grants on Pell and also State Assistance and with tuition at NAU being $750 a semester my last semester, Fall 1990 - grants covered almost everything and I graduated with no debt whatsoever.
    Oppressive regime!

Earned my BA in 3 years despite having 3 kids and paid cash. First masters offered a assistantship but didn’t take it because college was a hour each way and would have had to go everyday versus 2days/week plus had a p.t. Job so we paid cash. 2nd masters got a full ride including a stipend of 300/month but it was 6 hours away so had to rent a apartment. Finished in 1 year. PhD paid cash.

My first college semester was $189 in 1979. My last was $952 in 1992 (I slowly worked toward a BS while I started with a vo-tech skill that paid for it all.

Today's fee is $3847 per semester.

DH and I worked min wage jobs to get me through the vo-tech year so I could increase my wage from $3.25 to $5.37 in 1981.

There is NO WAY a kid these days could get out of school with no loans at these fees. I'm grateful we both did it without loans. DH finished 1y behind me in 1993.

My college is no longer in existence, unfortunately (I never should have listened to my mother). So I'll go with the school I went to freshman year. If I went to 4 years of that school today, it would be $150,000, which includes tuition, room & board, and books.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Oppressive regime!
    It sure is today for those seeking a college degree, I'll agree with that much. The pricing structure for a college degree though when I was young? That I will admit was not indicative of an oppressive regime. Talk to any recent graduate with a large debt load and shaky at best job prospects to get a non 85006 perspective on an Oppressive Regime.........could be very enlightening perhaps? Rob

Uncle Sugar paid for my degrees and all he asked in return was seven years of my life in short hair and shiny shoes. I don’t think that price has inflated much over the years.

Thread Information