Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: STEVE inMN

For me it's not about trying to change someone's views to be the same as mine, but to try to help them understand WHY I believe the way I do. My hope is that regardless of anyone's stance on a topic, they will come away with a better understanding of why I choose to take the stance I do. And visa-versa too - I like to hear the rationale for other's beliefs even if I don't agree with them. So it's not about changing someone, but just about being open minded to why other's have their viewpoints and hoping they are equally open to mine. And it's not arguing, just discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    For me it's not about trying to change someone's views to be the same as mine, but to try to help them understand WHY I believe the way I do. My hope is that regardless of anyone's stance on a topic, they will come away with a better understanding of why I choose to take the stance I do. And visa-versa too - I like to hear the rationale for other's beliefs even if I don't agree with them. So it's not about changing someone, but just about being open minded to why other's have their viewpoints and hoping they are equally open to mine. And it's not arguing, just discussion.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Agreed! If we really think it's important to be a diverse nation don't we have to accept that there are multiple, valid points of view? I think there are plenty of well reasoned opinions that are different from mine. And there there are the fringe opinions...

Hmmm... fringe opinions? Yeah I gotta get me some of those :-)! I won't say I have actually changed by position on things too much when hearing other people's rationale, but I have been influenced to see things from their side and do glean a better understanding. I am of the opinion (and yes, this may be a "fringe opinion") that there is no growth and enlightenment as humans if we are only wanting to see our own ideas reflected back at us from other's.

Thread Information