Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency Preparedness: overarching principles of having what you need in emergency

The biggest threats for me would depend. Making the house unlivable? Regular house fire or tornado. Impeding my ability to get to/from work? Flood or blizzard. Causing a shutdown of the entire area? Blizzard (short term), power grid problem or very serious plague (longer term). I think it's good for me to have a couple of months of supplies in case of having to "bug in" with no power or no physical contact with others but I am not planning for a years-long disaster. I could do better with a car kit, though. Physically, I stay fit enough to walk 10 miles in adverse weather, and wear/bring appropriate clothing that if I had to, I could on all but maybe the very coldest days which aren't likely to have huge snowstorms or floods. Always travel in comfortable shoes, but I could stand to bring some water and granola bars just in case, esp if it's a high chance of snow and/or thunderstorm.
    This series of threads reminds me that I should check in with my sister, who lives in the Seattle area. Way more chances for catastrophic problems there and I'm not sure what her preparedness is like.

Fire and earthquake are our biggest threats - we live next to a state park in coastal California.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information