View Poll Results: Would you like an "Emergency Preparedness" Forum?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 77.27%
  • No

    5 22.73%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Would you like an Emergency Preparedness Forum?

  1. #1
    Low Tech grunt iris lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,928

    Would you like an Emergency Preparedness Forum?

    There is still interest on this board in a forum about Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. In our homes, in our communities--how can we make wise choices, surviving and thriving challenges and adversity?

    I closed the last poll about "preppers" and am now checking people's interest level in a forum about "Emergency Preparedness," a broader topic than the last poll. This poll will close in ten days.

  2. #2
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,908
    I voted yes to support the idea of emergency preparedness realizing that different scenarios would require different types of preparedness. Others might have wild forest fires or earthquakes, I might have flooding or severe extended cold. One still needs to be prepared even it is the 72 hour prep that is so highly recommended.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    807
    I voted yes in the hopes that a forum would lead to a level of detail beyond packing grab-n-go bags to actual use of items, recipes for stocked-up food, etc.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,460
    I also voted yes. Like the topic myself even if it gets wild and weird! I'm wondering what list of "emergencies" we can come up with, and how each may need special preparedness. Lets see.... The natural ones like wildfires, floods, hurricane, tornados, mudslides, rock slides, ice flows, avalanches, earthquakes, tsunamis, blizzards, droughts, asteroid collisions, umm...?? that's all I can think of. I guess also things like pandemics, power grid outages, EM pulses, solar flares, wars and invasions, alien invasions, zombie invasions, bird invasions (oh Alfred Hitchhock we all miss you :-)!), bee (and thus pollen spreader) die off, peak energy and it's die off, financial collapse, infrastructure collapse, umm...?? that's all I can think of.

  5. #5
    Low Tech grunt iris lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    I also voted yes. Like the topic myself even if it gets wild and weird! I'm wondering what list of "emergencies" we can come up with, and how each may need special preparedness. Lets see.... The natural ones like wildfires, floods, hurricane, tornados, mudslides, rock slides, ice flows, avalanches, earthquakes, tsunamis, blizzards, droughts, asteroid collisions, umm...?? that's all I can think of. I guess also things like pandemics, power grid outages, EM pulses, solar flares, wars and invasions, alien invasions, zombie invasions, bird invasions (oh Alfred Hitchhock we all miss you :-)!), bee (and thus pollen spreader) die off, peak energy and it's die off, financial collapse, infrastructure collapse, umm...?? that's all I can think of.
    chemical explosions. That happened twice in neighborhood's wher eI lived, once in Iowa and once in St. Louis.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,460
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    chemical explosions. That happened twice in neighborhood's wher eI lived, once in Iowa and once in St. Louis.
    Oh yeah - I think I mentioned that somewhere else here as that is a common thing after an earthquake (and even a hurricane, tornado, or "super storm like Sandy) when natural gas lines break.

    Another thing is the NBC - nuclear, biological, chemical - releasel. I live (for now) right next to a huge Naval weapons station that has God knows what stored in their many underground bunkers. If that stuff ever goes I'm not sure if the old "Duck and Cover" will help :-)! Chemical and germ warfare (Syria!) too. Then I guess on a smaller scale there are trains hauling huge containers of chemicals that derail (seems to happen often) creating huge clouds of toxic gas over large areas. Oh and lets not forget nuclear power plant meltdown (Chernobyl anyone? Three Mile Island? Fukishima?). OK now I think I'll go read a good book to relax to get my mind off EOTW stuff. Maybe "The Stand" or "The Road" :-)!

  7. #7
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,715
    Don't forget the Yellowstone Caldera.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,330
    While I'm not EXACTLY sure what the connection is between simple living and emergency preparedness, other than the fact that if there is an emergency you better be able to adapt to a simple life, I voted yes.

    I think it will probably be really educational and helpful in a general sense.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,412
    Not sure how the "name change" makes this different from the last poll. Plus we have all those E.P. threads that have "magically appeared" on the different aspects they associate with.

  10. #10
    Low Tech grunt iris lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,928
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Not sure how the "name change" makes this different from the last poll. Plus we have all those E.P. threads that have "magically appeared" on the different aspects they associate with.
    People were more receptive to the forum with the name "Emergency Preparedness. For me, it didn't make that much of a difference.

    I threw up a few threads to see what kind of discussion got going on them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •