View Poll Results: Would you like an "Emergency Preparedness" Forum?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 77.27%
  • No

5 22.73%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you like an Emergency Preparedness Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Not sure how the "name change" makes this different from the last poll. Plus we have all those E.P. threads that have "magically appeared" on the different aspects they associate with.
    It appears that the "name change" makes all the difference in the world. Based upon comments received, the term "preppers" provokes negative imagry for many, while "emergency prepardness" is generally seen as a positive.

To me, it's a tomato/tomahto, potato/potahto sort of thing. One worthy of further exploration in order to truly gauge the communities interest.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Late in the evening, (after 2 glasses of wine), it hits me as hilarious, the difference between "emergency preparedness" and "prepper". I see them as one and the same. Why wouldn't people see it as one and the same?

BTW, my name is Blackdog Lin, and I am a Prepper.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Don't forget the Yellowstone Caldera.
    Oh yeah! Another "Duck and Cover" moment :-)! And lets not forget the impending Y"3"K! Start preparing now....or not.

Funny thing in the news today about the 2012 Mayan (or was it Aztec?) calendar potent of doom. Apparently sometime in 2012 the earth missed one of the largest solar flares ever recorded by just mere days. It was strong enough to knock out the entire power grid by messing up the planets magnetic field if we had still been in it's direct path. Maybe those Mayan's actually had it right - they were just bad at math and off by a few days!

I saw the "prepper" thread but, honestly, had no clue what it was referring to and it didn't grab my interest enough to look - my online time is limited. "Emergency Preparedness" I understand.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The term Prepper is associated with people building bumkers etc. getting ready for doomesday. Emergency Preparedness is being able to take care of yourself in an emergency. This is how I look at it. I don't stockpile weapons and ammo , gas masks etc.

Definition of "Prepper" from the Urban dictionary:

1. prepper

Someone who focuses on preparedness, generally for various worst-case scenarios like peak oil or armageddon. Sometimes used to avoid the more loaded term survivalist.

Some preppers focus on guns, others on sustainable agriculture.

by NYVillager March 28, 2008

This definition from a Prepper website:

Prepper

Prep-per noun

Definition of a Prepper

: a person who advocates and practices preparedness

: one who prepares for any event that would disrupt their daily routine.

Description of a Prepper

A prepper is one who practices self-reliance and independence by preparing in advance for any and all foreseeable and unforeseeable changes in normal life. These changes can be as simple as a cut finger or as great as a man made or natural disaster

I personally believe the second statement is the best definintion of a "prepper" since I think anyone who is practicing emergency preparation is a "Prepper". But I agree that for many people it does conjure up images of fully stocked and supplied bunkers full of all sorts of things - weapons included. To be honest I'm not much of a prepper or emergency planner. Have a bit to get me by in any emergency but probably not nearly enough for anything big - or if I had to leave my house for.

I think the word/phrase "prepper" kind of got hijacked. I think lots of folks consider themselves preppers. Or did. Till it became hysterical in tone. Now they are just...prepared?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Not sure how the "name change" makes this different from the last poll. Plus we have all those E.P. threads that have "magically appeared" on the different aspects they associate with.
    I agree. This question was already answered with the last poll. And it appears that those truly interested in this type of topic have found a way around it.

To me, "prepper" or "emergency preparedness" or however it's named, sounds paranoid. Not like simple living at all.

And tomato, regardless of how it's pronounced, is still the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by onlinemoniker View Post
    I agree. This question was already answered with the last poll. And it appears that those truly interested in this type of topic have found a way around it.

To me, "prepper" or "emergency preparedness" or however it's named, sounds paranoid. Not like simple living at all.

And tomato, regardless of how it's pronounced, is still the same thing.
    To my mind, Emergency Preparedness has relation to simple living in that in a simple life where we are living our values, we are focused on the now but are prepared for the future. For some of us, financial security for the future is key and that's why we talk about frugal living (and stashing away the cash.) And how many around here have "emergency cash" stashes? I don't consider that paranoid, chit happens and money is needed to deal with it.

Preparedness means many things to me but certainly it includes building systems of self-reliance in our households and in our communities.

I find the idea of stacking cans of beans and bags of rice too boring to bring me to action, but building a reliable support system in my neighborhood is appealing. For instance, when the windstorms come through and knock down trees onto cars and into the street as happens every few years--who can we rely on with a working chainsaw? So one way we might work on community support would be: make a list of neighbors with chainsaws. That work. haha I say that because DH's chainsaw goes out of kilter often.

As for the "prepper" label, a significant number of people who spoke up about a "prepper" forum read much negativity into that term. Right or wrong, that was their perception, just like you find the entire concept of preparedness for an emergency to indicate paranoia. Most were open to the term "Emergency Preparedness" and that's what this 2nd poll shows.

Perhaps you don't live in an area where Mother Nature threatens your area and so it's not as immediate to you.

Thread Information