Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Book reviews

Book I just started is called 1920 - it's about the year that started the Roaring 20s. Many parallels to today actually. Who knew there were terrorists setting off bombs in 1920? Lots of craziness going on then too. Fiction wise - I am reading the Dalai Lama's Cat.

I will have to work my way through this thread, but not right now. Reading The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt, and just started To Kill a Mockingbird. I never read it, and am enjoying it a lot.
    Working tonight, so I have to go and get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I saw the movie several years ago and read the book this past fall. The film remained true to the story, although didn't provide as much day-to-day detail. I highly recommend both the book and movie for everyone, although be prepared to be haunted for some time afterward.

I imagined myself and my grandson as the protaganists. It made me cry.
    I thought about this book for a long time afterwards. I pictured it with my son, it kept me up at night. I love his books but the last few are killing me, lol

Finished "An Invisible Thread" - true story of an 11 year old panhandler and a female sales exec in her 30s. She took him under her wing and guided him into a functioning adulthood. Very honest look at their relationship but also what happens when you help a stranger directly.

The book title comes from an ancient Chinese proverb: "An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, and circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm about halfway through The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine and finding it informative and an easy read. I don't have an autoimmune disorder--as far as I know--but I figure my mitochondria could use a tuneup. Dr. Wahls manages her MS with a plant-heavy paleo diet and muscle stimulation, among other therapies.
    For a different point of view you might like to look at this book by Dr. Swank.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Multiple-Sc.../dp/0385232799

Bought the Girl in the Spiders Web and if I wouldn't have needed sleep, would have finished it off in a day. I don't think it was quite what the Millennium series was, but so much of the onion that is the main character, has already been pealed, some parts were easy to anticipate.
    Still, quite an enjoyable fiction read and I don't do many of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Bought the Girl in the Spiders Web and if I wouldn't have needed sleep, would have finished it off in a day. I don't think it was quite what the Millennium series was, but so much of the onion that is the main character, has already been pealed, some parts were easy to anticipate.
    Still, quite an enjoyable fiction read and I don't do many of those.
    I didn't even know there was such a book! I was at the book store today...didn't see anything like that, though I wasn't really looking for it. I have mixed feelings on this. Lisbeth Salander is such a powerful character. Those books came to life because of her. If her character can't be channeled as in the first ones there won't be a point for me. It could be Larsson's passion for her can't be reproduced by someone who didn't conceive of her. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I didn't even know there was such a book! I was at the book store today...didn't see anything like that, though I wasn't really looking for it. I have mixed feelings on this. Lisbeth Salander is such a powerful character. Those books came to life because of her. If her character can't be channeled as in the first ones there won't be a point for me. It could be Larsson's passion for her can't be reproduced by someone who didn't conceive of her. I don't know.
    It is in the new section (hit the states Sept. 1 and I am not sure if he used the original authors notes, as his brother and father were the one that authorized it. Part of Lis's character to me was the mystery of her. Once you understood her family situation, you understood her motivation and there was less mystery. Her motivations are no different (he nailed that), I miss the mystery behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It is in the new section (hit the states Sept. 1 and I am not sure if he used the original authors notes, as his brother and father were the one that authorized it. Part of Lis's character to me was the mystery of her. Once you understood her family situation, you understood her motivation and there was less mystery. Her motivations are no different (he nailed that), I miss the mystery behind it.
    Good point and one that I've though of myself.

Just finished The Great Detective. If you're a Sherlock Holmes buff, or just interested in how fiction can capture the imagination, it's worth your time.

Thread Information