Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Book reviews

Book reviews

I am an avid reader of nonfiction and have read so many good books recently. Here are a few:

Heath related;
    -52 simple steps to natural health by Mark Mayell (VERY GOOD!!!! and an enjoyable read)
    -Fitness for Dummies (very good... I learned alot but then, I didn't know much about the subject)
    -Training the body to cure itself.... How to use exercise to heal (gave some ideas of different exercises ... was ok)
    -Simply well: A choice for a healthy life by John W Travis. An easy read, but worthwhile.

Others:
    -Straw bale gardens by Joel Karsten... VERY interesting. Decided not try only because it would take one straw bale for one tomato... otherwise looks interesting. Can even have a garden on your driveway.

I'm about halfway through The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine and finding it informative and an easy read. I don't have an autoimmune disorder--as far as I know--but I figure my mitochondria could use a tuneup. Dr. Wahls manages her MS with a plant-heavy paleo diet and muscle stimulation, among other therapies.

I've been skimming several mediocre books including BJ Novak's book of short "stories." They are clever vignettes, some of them, but they aren't substantial, they are just stylish nonsense.

Just finished Michael Moore's memoir, "Here Comes Trouble." Whatever you may think about his politics or tactics, he's not afraid to stick his neck out. Anything from questioning Catholic orthodoxy, to asking why the school district he grew up in did not have any black teachers, to trying to find information on the rush to move manufacturing jobs overseas.

He was an early opponent of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, and received so many death threats including people showing up at his home that he had to hire guards. It's not the life most of us would want, but I'm glad there's someone willing to ask the tough questions and "afflict the comfortable" as they say.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Just finished Michael Moore's memoir, "Here Comes Trouble." Whatever you may think about his politics or tactics, he's not afraid to stick his neck out. Anything from questioning Catholic orthodoxy, to asking why the school district he grew up in did not have any black teachers, to trying to find information on the rush to move manufacturing jobs overseas.

He was an early opponent of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, and received so many death threats including people showing up at his home that he had to hire guards. It's not the life most of us would want, but I'm glad there's someone willing to ask the tough questions and "afflict the comfortable" as they say.
    I've been meaning to look into some of his works - I did not know about the death threats and his having to hire guards. Sounds like someone I would have a great deal of respect for and I will put it on my list to check into one of his works. I know he did that one on healthcare, but there are also others. Rob

I actually bought a book, ordered it from the UK. It's called Castles in the Air and it's by Lady Jean Fford, the Duke of Montrose's daughter. She is a Hamilton. Her estate is on the isle of Arran in Scotland and is also part of Buchanan Castle on Loch Lomad.

DH's auntie knew Lady Jean and spoke of her as all righteous independant citizens speak of the aristocracy and that is: not in a complimentary fashion although she actually liked Lady Jean, it was Lady Jean's no-goodnick son who drew the ire of our auntie. But me, I like the Aristocracy, but then I don't have to support 'em.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-24-14 at 7:11pm.

Just finished "Standing On Another Mans's Grave", an Ian Rankin book about DI Rebus. Rebus is retired, but still as cranky as ever, and there's always a murder or several to sort out. The dialogue is top-notch, the plot is good, and the scenery and Scottish ambiance are enjoyable especially if you have been there. I missed Rankin and Rebus when they retired after 14-odd books, but I am sure there's more (even Harry Potter has another on coming). A fun dversion.

• Stepping out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self by Rodney Smith (awesome)
    • Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Lund Fisker (I read it once--this is my second time around, but he presents his personal finance philosophy in a somewhat dense way because he writes like an engineer (somewhat like Jim Merkel of Radical Simplicity), but still really cool thinking. I LOVE the idea of the Renaissance Man/(Woman) and always have, and he gives you a blueprint for achieving that.
    • Life's Operating Manual by Tom Shadyac (I got this on my Kindle (for free) after I saw his movie I AM. LOVED the movie. The book is good, but not sure I enjoy the Fear and Truth dialogues, although I get the purpose behind them)
    • Growing Into a Farm by Anna Hess. Cool book about a frugal-extreme person and her journey to her dream, and I love that it was written by a female.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm reading Music Our Universal Language by Gerald White. I'm also doing an hour of work a day with his on line course, and going to the group class once a week. It's clear and concise.

Am also reading Baryshnikov From Russia To The West by Gennady Smakov. It's fascinating to hear about life in Russia. I trained with many of the people in this book. That culture and the pressure is extreme. It's helping me understand why I felt so oppressed and unsafe in some of those classes.

I'm currently in the middle of "My Life in France" by Julia Child. Fun in that breezy, "bon apetit!" Julia kind of way. I find her commentary on the State Department particularly interesting -- I currently work a lot with people in the division that grew out of the division they worked in, and things are still as dysfunctional as she reports them being! I also love that she and her co-authors didn't let people dissuade them from their vision of what "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" was meant to be. Contemplating buying a copy, though I think her style might be a bit too fussy/precise for my tastes. I'd probably do better with Dorie Greenspan.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information