Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Book reviews

I loved the book, but yes, in a haunting, disturbing way. That ain't no "feel-good" read. Hope to see the movie someday.

All the books I've read lately have been real losers

I'm looking forward to the new Kate Atkinson "God In Ruins" and Neal Stephenson's "Seveneves", but I'm pretty far down the library list for those.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

The Storied Life of AJ Fikrey by Gabrielle Zevin. Delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    The Storied Life of AJ Fikrey by Gabrielle Zevin. Delightful.
    Sounds very good - I guess I'll get on the list for that one, too!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Finished "The Blue Tattoo, The Life of Olive Oatman" by Margot Mifflin. From the summary on the back of the book: "In 1851 Olive Oatman was a 13 year old pioneer traveling west toward Zion with her Mormon family. Within a decade, she was a white Indian with a chin tattoo, caught between cultures." She was a celebrity in her time, going on the lecture tour after she was ransomed. The book gives a lot of historically accurate information about the times, so the sensational part is recognized but is not the main focus.

I recently read a book from my childhood, "The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh". Much more appreciated now then when I was young. I'm in love with baby Roo!

Pony mom - I loved reading those to dd. The horrible heffalump!

If anyone is thinking about reading Daniel Handler's "We Are Pirates," don't bother. Another stinker

Finished "A man for all seasons" (reading the play). Yea I know everyone else and their brother has already read the book in High School/seen the movie/seen the play .... or something. But I hadn't. Great fun to read!

Really gets down the political oppressiveness of those times (sigh ... maybe of most times) as well.

I noticed my "forever" stamps also say "a flag for all seasons". Relevance of that? None at all, of course!
    Trees don't grow on money

Kate Atkinson's "A God in Ruins" was magnificent. It's a sort of a companion piece to her last novel ("Life After Life") but can certainly be read alone. Wonderful.

Stephenson's "Seveneves" was so packed with technobable that it was hard to keep track of the story. NOT his best effort.

I'm currently reading "The Water Knife" by Paolo Bacigalupi. "In the American Southwest, Nevada, Arizona, and California skirmish for dwindling shares of the Colorado River." So far, so good.

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm finding it really hard to put down, and I hope I don't regret that I'm ignoring all the Fourth of July festivities that are going on in our town. Well, it is a book about America, so I guess I'm celebrating in my own introverted way.

Thread Information