Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Book reviews

Literature classes were a nightmare for me, as you might imagine. And English was one of my many majors...I do enjoy some light fiction occasionally, but I seem to have trouble finding authors/storylines that mesh with my quirks. Revoking my novel card might be doing me a favor.

I just requested "The Stolen Child" and "The Snow Child" from the library. If one didn't know better, one might think I was into children!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I just requested "The Stolen Child" and "The Snow Child" from the library. If one didn't know better, one might think I was into children!
    Please add The Vanished Child to your list, it is on mine! Haha. But seriously, its been on my list for a year and
    I cant remember why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "Knocking on Heaven's Door - The Path to a Better Way of Death" NY Times bestseller by Katy Butler. The blurb: "part memoir, part medical history and part spiritual guide" and "a map through the labyrinth of a broken medical system." Katy describes the medicalized death of her elderly father and the fact that our culture and medical payment system does not accept the idea of "natural death."

She looks at every aspect of this: financial (detailing the huge amount paid by Medicare for her father, and many others, in the last months of their lives); medical (details on pacemakers); social (household help is not paid for by Medicare); personal (herself and her 2 brothers trying to cope with parents who had been perfectionist and critical and not very affectionate); emotional (conflicting emotions watching a long march to death of a loved one.)

Lots of footnotes and pages of references to other books and resources. If I had to recommend one book for anyone going through this same situation, this is the one.
    Now I see where I got this book reccomendation. I Liked this book a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Also, I have Lessing's The Fifth Child on my reading list.haha.

I rarely if ever re-read a book, but I decided to re-read "365 Thank Yous, The year a simple act of gratitude changed my life" by John Kralik. I'm glad I did.

I know that many would dismiss this just from its title, or think it's another New Age type book, but it's a very moving account of a divorced middle-aged man who made a conscious decision to express more gratitude, specifically in handwritten notes, to family, friends, co-workers, Starbucks baristas, etc. It does not result in any miracles, but it does bring a profound shift in his attitude. And yes it does seem that what you send out to the universe will come back to you in many different ways.
    An easy read, but will make you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I rarely if ever re-read a book, but I decided to re-read "365 Thank Yous, The year a simple act of gratitude changed my life" by John Kralik. I'm glad I did.

I know that many would dismiss this just from its title, or think it's another New Age type book, but it's a very moving account of a divorced middle-aged man who made a conscious decision to express more gratitude, specifically in handwritten notes, to family, friends, co-workers, Starbucks baristas, etc. It does not result in any miracles, but it does bring a profound shift in his attitude. And yes it does seem that what you send out to the universe will come back to you in many different ways.
    An easy read, but will make you think.
    Not at all do I think that someone taking specific action to produce positivity in hIs life is another New Agey book. Seems like common sense to me, getting out of your own head and interacting in a deliberately positive way produces positive results.

Thanks for the recommendations, IL. However, I will draw the line at "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child!"

I thought I had already mentioned this, but it doesn't look like I did: The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson. Fun, murderous plot action. If you liked Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train you would like this, but I honestly liked this one better than either of those.

reading some of james patterson's bookshots on my breaks at work also cavallino magazine as i am a ferraristi and the book mr penumbra's 24hr bookstore

Thread Information