Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: critically acclaimed current Television dramas

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    I looked it up and watch the trailers and it looks very interesting. I tried to find a way I could watch it online without having to pay (you know my inner cheapskate) but haven't found one yet. Will check out my local library as they may have it - at least the first or second season. I'll look for The Returned also I love eerie as much as I love sci-fi).
    The second season of Orphan Black, ends Saturday the 21st. It should be a bit before it is out on DVD. I wasn't particularly impressed when I started watching season one, and think I still haven't seen all of it, but season 2 grabbed my attention.

I watched the 2013 British tv mini-series called Southcliffe over the weekend. It's about a mass murderer in a small English market city who shoots dozens of people.

It switches back and forth in time in fascinating ways to provide insight into characters, showing previews to the shooting day and aftermath. But for anyone who wants a straightforward timeline in the plot, this is not for you! It helps to watch it with a friend, as I did, so we could pause the show and exchange notes about what really just happened. The ending was rather blah and part of the last episode just plain weird, but it was still, overall, a production worth watching.

I just got back from my "TV Club" at the library (like a book club only we watch a tv episode and then analyze it) and it was pretty interesting. We are watching True Detective, which I've already seen, but I like going through it a second time. Having a group to discuss various aspect of this television show is great because they bring out aspects I would not have thought about.
    Last edited by iris lily; 10-9-14 at 11:11am.

I loved the first two seasons of "Homeland," even though the third season was pretty weak. But now the fourth season has premiered, and the critics are already raving again.

If you can figure out how to watch it for free online and with English subtitles, you might want to search for the original Israeli series, "Prisoners of War," upon which "Homeland" was based. Gideon Raff exec produces both shows. The acting is superb, and the plot makes "Homeland" look simple. It's some of the best television I've ever seen in my life, and, as a lifelong and unabashed LOVER of television, that's pretty great stuff! Plus it's great for seeing what it's like in normal Israeli homes--not fancy at all, for the most part.

Ignore the snobs. Cable plus DVR are worth it.

Sons of Anarchy
    – Hamlet on a Harley.

Boardwalk Empire – Even if it wasn’t brilliantly written and acted, the props and costumes make it worth an hour.

Hell on Wheels – Colm Meaney as a sort of Captain Ahab for the Union Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Ignore the snobs. Cable plus DVR are worth it.

Sons of Anarchy
    – Hamlet on a Harley.

Boardwalk Empire – Even if it wasn’t brilliantly written and acted, the props and costumes make it worth an hour.

Hell on Wheels – Colm Meaney as a sort of Captain Ahab for the Union Pacific.
    Boardwalk is one of the few critically embraced cable drama that I've tried and just cannot get into. I sampled Hell on Wheels but didn't seriously try it, will do that again one of these days.

Sons!, Well, Sons in its heyday was addicting. I stopped watching in Season 5 after that very sad thing happened in prison, I loved that guy (no spoilers) and I thought I'd pick it up again when the series is finished. But now I'm hearing so much about violence for the sake of violence like a cartoon in Charming, I may not watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Sons!, Well, Sons in its heyday was addicting. I stopped watching in Season 5 after that very sad thing happened in prison, I loved that guy (no spoilers) and I thought I'd pick it up again when the series is finished. But now I'm hearing so much about violence for the sake of violence like a cartoon in Charming, I may not watch it again.
    Well, much like Game of Thrones, you don't want to get too attached to any of the characters, and clever and committed evil usually trumps good intentions. It's not a series for the feel-good crowd any more than Hamlet was. The casting is excellent, and you certainly couldn't say the plot doesn't move right along.

Okay, I think everyone's had a chance to throw in their 2 cents, and basically go-along-and-get-along with the OP's Question. So, it's about time I throw in my thread killer. Guess what? You have to take it on faith that critics even know what they are talking about! Well, in my opinion, critics are pretentious jerks. Second, you have to believe that sitting around, watching other people getting paid to act as if they have real lives, is constructive in some way. It is not. Don't tell me it is recreation, because it isn't. Ladies, watching "critically acclaimed dramas" on the boob toob is just like the big fat weak geezers who eat pizza and watch sports on TeeVee! Nothing more, nothing less. The Wasteland is Vaster than it was 50 years ago. My advice: put your TeeVee in a yard sale. Hope that helps you some.

Hahaha Packy. I remember TV fifty years ago, and it was ghastly. For the most part: broad comedy, over-acted dramas (lotsa westerns), and endless variety shows. George Jessel and Jerry Lewis, anyone? And in fuzzy black and white. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Hahaha Packy. I remember TV fifty years ago, and it was ghastly. For the most part: broad comedy, over-acted dramas (lotsa westerns), and endless variety shows. George Jessel and Jerry Lewis, anyone? And in fuzzy black and white. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than it used to be.
    So, you are saying American Bandstand, The Twentieth Century with Walter Cronkite, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Jack Paar Show, The Addams Family, The Defenders, Perry Mason, The Beverly Hillbillies, Concentration, The Andy Griffith Show, The Twilight Zone, Gilligans' Island, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, The Munsters, Mission Impossible, Gunsmoke, Bonanza,The Rifleman, The Real McCoys, Leave it to Beaver, Donna Reed, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Seahunt, Car 54, Where Are You?, Perry Mason, Dragnet, Combat!, and numerous others were "ghastly"? But, You are just joking, right? Just trying to be funny, or stereotyping, like littlebittymee? I thought so. Maybe "I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners" were lame, but TV these days, is just designed to indoctrinate you in the Hollyweird Way. They come up with the most incredibly perverse situations they can imagine, to condition you into thinking it is situation"normal". People who are looking for something to believe in then adopt a new set of values derived from a fantasy world they find on TV. I refuse to watch it. You should too. Hope that helps you some.

Thread Information