Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: critically acclaimed current Television dramas

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't know about "ghastly" but most of the offerings from that era were pretty light compared to today. I was a huge fan of westerns and still look back fondly on some of my all-time favorites such as Have Gun Will Travel, Maverick, Wagon Train, Death Valley Days, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, Rawhide, Laramie, Sugarfoot, Wanted Dead or Alive, et al.
    Ha, ha. I do more than look back. Gun Smoke comes on at my lunch time and I still give it an occasional watch. I like how Matt Dillon is this big slightly overweight guy with a bulbous nose who always wears the same shirt instead of some hero out of GQ. The black and white photography on Rawhide is masterful and usually an interesting, albeit light, plot. And then there is The Adams Family. I've entertained delusions of having a train set with exploding bridges. Not all of those old TV shows are good, but some overshadow most big city loft and apartment based drama and comedy, glitzy graphic violence, or reality TV of more recent times, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Ha, ha. I do more than look back. Gun Smoke comes on at my lunch time and I still give it an occasional watch. I like how Matt Dillon is this big slightly overweight guy with a bulbous nose who always wears the same shirt instead of some hero out of GQ. The black and white photography on Rawhide is masterful and usually an interesting, albeit light, plot. And then there is The Adams Family. I've entertained delusions of having a train set with exploding bridges. Not all of those old TV shows are good, but some overshadow most big city loft and apartment based drama and comedy, glitzy graphic violence, or reality TV of more recent times, IMHO.
    Oh but you are forgetting the ultimate "hunky guy" and cool TV show ever - Wild Wild West! He was rich, fashionable and could kick butt, and he ALWAYS got the girl(s).

My Dad was Master of the TV Domain and so as little kids we watched what he watched - which was mostly westerns and war shows like Combat, Rat Patrol (my favorite because of the name alone and because my Mom was German - an evil Nat-zi - and it would torment her) and my favorite The Avengers (oh Mrs. Emma Peel, how I want to be you when I grow up). That plus wrestling and roller derby. I often wonder if that had any influence on how I am as adult? Nah :-)!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Oh but you are forgetting the ultimate "hunky guy" and cool TV show ever - Wild Wild West! He was rich, fashionable and could kick butt, and he ALWAYS got the girl(s).

My Dad was Master of the TV Domain and so as little kids we watched what he watched - which was mostly westerns and war shows like Combat, Rat Patrol (my favorite because of the name alone and because my Mom was German - an evil Nat-zi - and it would torment her) and my favorite The Avengers (oh Mrs. Emma Peel, how I want to be you when I grow up). That plus wrestling and roller derby. I often wonder if that had any influence on how I am as adult? Nah :-)!
    Rich? A government employee whose mobile office (train) was provided for by the government (our taxes)?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    A few more good ones for an occasional reminisce! My dad was a TV nut, too. After the evening dish ritual dad would immediately settle into the recliner in front of the TV until the end of the Carson monologue. It took me a little maturity to realize that TV was decent down time relaxation when it was newer and a little more special to his generation, considering it really didn't get going until the early 50's. We also were tortured with McCale's Navy, F Troop, and Gilligan's island, so it wasn't all good. Thank goodness for miniature golf and occasional games of Sorry or Monopoly to get Dad out of his easy chair.

Anyone for Lilyhammer? The Godfather meets The Three Stooges. Stephen Van Zandt just cracks me up, how on earth could anyone find him attractive ... and yet ...

I hear a new season is airing in November.

I've also discovered Sherlock - the Cumberbatch version.

ETA to Packy: I think when TV starts adjusting your worldview, it's gone too far. When taken in small doses, it's a way of taking a break from the real world while also getting a little insight into other people - either through the show if it's well written, or simply through the understanding that this is what real people "out there" are ingesting if not.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Rich? A government employee whose mobile office (train) was provided for by the government (our taxes)?
    Ok - he "pretended" he was a rich guy. Close enough for...umm...government work :-)!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    A few more good ones for an occasional reminisce! My dad was a TV nut, too. After the evening dish ritual dad would immediately settle into the recliner in front of the TV until the end of the Carson monologue. It took me a little maturity to realize that TV was decent down time relaxation when it was newer and a little more special to his generation, considering it really didn't get going until the early 50's. We also were tortured with McCale's Navy, F Troop, and Gilligan's island, so it wasn't all good. Thank goodness for miniature golf and occasional games of Sorry or Monopoly to get Dad out of his easy chair.
    Oh I do remember those shows - probably because they still come on around via one of my local antenna TV station along with some other "enriching" shows like Lost In Space (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!), 3's Company, The Flying Nun, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, Father Knows Best, and such. Most are really pretty bad. My Dad was a career military guy (30 plus years) so he was rarely home so didn't watch too much TV but he had his favorites.

Ok--got one for ya. Critics love it, simply because it gives them something to critique. "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" takes us into trailer trash reality in the bible belt. There is an article online that says June and mike, the common-law couple, have split up, and that june is seeing a former bf, who has just been released from prison for a sex crime involving a juvenile who is a member of Junes' family. The article says the producers are supposedly in a quandary about whether they want to continue with the series, given those circumstances. But you know what? Heck yes, they do! This will really increase viewership, especially by Church Ladies who want to see Satan! in action. The article was probably a carefully crafted press release, to give Tee-Vee watchers a heads up on this season. See? Let me know how it turns out.

I just watched The Mindy Project's "I Slipped" episode on Hulu a couple of days ago, and now that ep is getting lots of media attention. While I think most network comedies are dull and crass, Mindy always makes me laugh. She is funny and cute and her show, the A plot anyway, is worth watching. Mindy Project B plots are like regular network comedies, not so great.

So even an episode about anal sex like this one makes me laugh. There's a great line in it about "always knowing where your most prized possession is" that I think is brilliant like the kind of thing Seinfeld writers used to knock out weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    I just watched The Mindy Project's "I Slipped" episode on Hulu a couple of days ago, and now that ep is getting lots of media attention. While I think most network comedies are dull and crass, Mindy always makes me laugh. She is funny and cute and her show, the A plot anyway, is worth watching. Mindy Project B plots are like regular network comedies, not so great.

So even an episode about anal sex like this one makes me laugh. There's a great line in it about "always knowing where your most prized possession is" that I think is brilliant like the kind of thing Seinfeld writers used to knock out weekly.
    Are you talking about "Mindy" from "Mork & Mindy"? I'll bet you are. So, the proper terminology would be "nano-nano sex" . Well, wouldn't it? aHahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaahaahaahah!

Thread Information