Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: critically acclaimed current Television dramas

critically acclaimed current Television dramas

I'm watching The Americans and frankly, it is blah. From the reviews I expected something as good as House of Cards or perhaps even Homeland. But nope, it's a 2nd tier drama even if the critics loved it. I was thrilled to see Margo Martindale in it as a KGB lady. I loved that woman so much in the 2nd season of Justified that I've not been able to go back to watch more Justified. I'll get there eventually, but Mags, oh she was the real deal as a villain.

I'm going to dig back into old BBC stuff and try Lovejoy, a British series starring Ian McShane. He plays an antiques dealer who is a bit shady and who solves some crimes now and then. Wait, this isn't a current show and as such doesn't belong in this thread.
    Last edited by iris lily; 3-24-14 at 10:45pm.

Oh you rich folks and your fancy cable TV :-)! I only have antenna TV so my current semi-newish favs are Hannibal and The Following. I didn't see them last year when they started so rented the DVDs but now am semi-hooked. Other then Supernatural and Criminal Minds and those 2 shows, I really don't watch much TV anymore. Would love to see more cable TV shows like The Walking Dead, etc.. Saw all the season DVDs of Homeland (disappointed) and Game of Throne (ummm.... somewhat disappointed) but that was about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Oh you rich folks and your fancy cable TV :-)! I only have antenna TV so my current semi-newish favs are Hannibal and The Following. I didn't see them last year when they started so rented the DVDs but now am semi-hooked. Other then Supernatural and Criminal Minds and those 2 shows, I really don't watch much TV anymore. Would love to see more cable TV shows like The Walking Dead, etc.. Saw all the season DVDs of Homeland (disappointed) and Game of Throne (ummm.... somewhat disappointed) but that was about it.
    Now I cannot let that go unchallanged! I do not have cable teevee. I have a city library that owns 27,000 dvds. Also, I've got a 1-disc-at-a-time Netflix subscription.

I'm just happy that my critically ignored fave, Grimm, has been renewed for another season--enabling me to crush on the sinister Captain Renard and try to pinpoint where in Portland it's being shot. A couple of weeks ago it was just a few blocks away from my family home--the producers seem fond of my old hood and its iconic bungalows. I can forgive its Swiss cheese plots (How do they explain random bodies turning up everywhere? Is Monroe on the payroll? Why not?) as long as I can watch Renard murmuring in French in his furtive phone calls home. Bliss.

I remember watching Lovejoy, YEARS ago; it was on intermittently, at the time. Seemed like a pretty good program, and I would have liked to know how it started.
    My understanding, is I won't see my program, until August. The other show I was watching, MIGHT be back next year (although that is up in the air). Both are BBC programs (Doctor Who and Mrs. Brown's Boy's). Right now, the only program that interests me, is the Blacklist. (mom has been recording it since she thought I would like it, and started me on it a while back). I don't know if this is season 1 or 2 though.
    Watching tv, due to the freaking weather. Make plans, supposed to have a nice day, forecast changes, cold day.
    I am getting spring fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm just happy that my critically ignored fave, Grimm, has been renewed for another season--enabling me to crush on the sinister Captain Renard and try to pinpoint where in Portland it's being shot. A couple of weeks ago it was just a few blocks away from my family home--the producers seem fond of my old hood and its iconic bungalows. I can forgive its Swiss cheese plots (How do they explain random bodies turning up everywhere? Is Monroe on the payroll? Why not?) as long as I can watch Renard murmuring in French in his furtive phone calls home. Bliss.
    I'm not that big of a fan of Grimm but also get all swoony over Captain Renard (where's the emoticon for "lust" :-)!) Also like to see the Portland area as it's so beautiful - I get all swoony over that too!

Captain Renard? Take him or leave him, with his cryptic little phone calls to Europe, that do not seem to advance the plot, ever.

But I love Grimm and it's take on fairy tales and the "truth" behind them.

I've often thought that a compilations of Renard's phone calls (in French, German, and occasionally Hebrew) could bring me out of a coma. To each her own.

I don't have cable, but have sampled the various current TV dramas via Netflix. In my opinion I've seen a really good one since The Wire, Lost, and Treme, with the exception of Mad Men and Downton Abbey. I was hooked on Supernatural for a while, but it started to interfere with my bed time and inability to sleep without weird dreams.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Oh you rich folks and your fancy cable TV :-)!
    We have on of them there fancy OTA antennas and I find OTA PBS programming to be preferred over most satellite programs (we also have a satellite TV). We can go days only watching over the air tv. One night when we couldn't find any program to watch of 120 Dish channels I posed the question to my husband 'what would people think if for one week only 60's/70's programs were aired?'. Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, Marcus Welby, MD, Carol Burnett, Laugh In and the Waltons, primetime westerns received via rabbit ears. I know we'd enjoy it.

Thread Information