Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: critically acclaimed current Television dramas

Currently watching "Revenge", "Blacklist", and new "Resurrection"....sorry I do have cable
    but share house with Dd so bundled with Internet, Phones, and Cable it is a very good price
    and really the only entertainment we spend any money on.
    We also, use the library for DVD's and Box Sets (mostly BBC my favourites)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Now I cannot let that go unchallanged! I do not have cable teevee. I have a city library that owns 27,000 dvds. Also, I've got a 1-disc-at-a-time Netflix subscription.
    Ha Ha - OK I have been facepunched :-)! I also use my towns huge library as a resource for DVD's (as well as CDs, computers and those paper things the folks in Ye Olde Olden Tymes would read :-)!). But it takes awhile for them to get newer TV shows on DVDs so I have to wait a season or 2 after a new show comes to my library.

I was shocked to see that there was no waiting list at my library on The Returned (French suspense miniseries, beautifully atmospheric and scary) as well as Season 2 of House of Lies. These are very good teevee shows!

I'll have to see if my library has those as I often read your "reviews" here (especially of the Swedish films and TV shows) and so have rented them (and enjoyed most) based on your suggestions. Never heard of either of those 2 shows though but I occasionally live in an info-free cloud as you know.

One problem that I'm having at my local library (a very big one) is that now they rent their DVDs out for 7 days at a time instead of 2. So people stock up on huge amounts of DVDs at a time and keep them all week, leaving few to choose from. kind of ticks me off but I actually do the same now - although I return them as soon as I watch them so someone else can borrow then (hey, I'm a giver :-)!). Too bad Redbox doesn't carry a larger selection of DVDs, as well as TV shows, as I also use them for new films.

I have to admit I have totally become a sucker for Orange is the New Black. There aren't too many shows on TV where women are the majority of main characters but not for the sole purpose of "finding a man"; where there are people of different ages who are not a decade younger than they are supposed to be portraying, where there are a large proportion of people of color without it being a niche show, and where there is a whole lot of actual reality and character exploration. It's not a show for the faint of heart, esp sex and language (it's about prison after all!) but if you want something where you really get a 3D of the characters, here ya go. Never mind the overtones of race and class that are continually brought up in a way that makes you think about them more than most shows. I have no idea what the critics are saying, but since it's become pretty popular in the general culture I think it's hit a nerve for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieTR View Post
    I have to admit I have totally become a sucker for Orange is the New Black. There aren't too many shows on TV where women are the majority of main characters but not for the sole purpose of "finding a man"; where there are people of different ages who are not a decade younger than they are supposed to be portraying, where there are a large proportion of people of color without it being a niche show, and where there is a whole lot of actual reality and character exploration. It's not a show for the faint of heart, esp sex and language (it's about prison after all!) but if you want something where you really get a 3D of the characters, here ya go. Never mind the overtones of race and class that are continually brought up in a way that makes you think about them more than most shows. I have no idea what the critics are saying, but since it's become pretty popular in the general culture I think it's hit a nerve for many reasons.
    It's a critical darling. I just got home tonight from my friend's house down the street where we are binge watching Orange is the New Black on her Netflix streaming system.We finished Season 1 Episode 6 tonight.

This is not to be confused with Orphan Black, a Canadian sci fi tv show that I binge watched with DH. This one is not as good as Orange is the New Black. But Spartana, try Orphan Black since I seem to remember that you like Sci Fi.

Thanks IL - I will see if I can find Orphan Black. I DOOOOOOO love sci-fi so will be something new for me as I think, short of cable TV shows, I have seen everything sci fi ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Thanks IL - I will see if I can find Orphan Black. I DOOOOOOO love sci-fi so will be something new for me as I think, short of cable TV shows, I have seen everything sci fi ever done.
    Orphan Black is about human clones in a cloning experiment, and the girl who plays them is cool. But the show overall is not quite top drawer.

I really like the eerie French The Returned even though the story is weak, it's barely there. The atmosphere is just mesmerizing, to me, anyway and the characters interesting. It's inherently interesting to me to have characters and setting somewhere other than the U.S. or the U.K.

I love the Blacklist, not so much for the storyline which can be quite convoluted, but the superb acting skills of James Spader keeps me returning every week to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Orphan Black is about human clones in a cloning experiment, and the girl who plays them is cool. But the show overall is not quite top drawer.

I really like the eerie French The Returned even though the story is weak, it's barely there. The atmosphere is just mesmerizing, to me, anyway and the characters interesting. It's inherently interesting to me to have characters and setting somewhere other than the U.S. or the U.K.
    I looked it up and watch the trailers and it looks very interesting. I tried to find a way I could watch it online without having to pay (you know my inner cheapskate) but haven't found one yet. Will check out my local library as they may have it - at least the first or second season. I'll look for The Returned also I love eerie as much as I love sci-fi).

Thread Information