Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade salad dressing.

Homemade salad dressing.

I prefer almost anything homemade over a box or can or bottle or mix. But somehow I haven't been able to make a homemade salad dressing that I can get really excited about. I try not to douse my salad leaves, but rather, lightly coat them, but I do like stronger flavors. What homemade recipes have you made and liked and why?

A few of my favorites:

Asian Sesame
    1/3 c canola oil, 2 T hoisin sauce, 3 T rice vinegar, 1 T sesame seeds, 1 T dark sesame oil, 1 minced scallion

Maple Balsamic (or Fig Balsamic)- 3 T balsamic vinegar, 2 T dark maple syrup (or fig butter), 1/2 c olive oil. 1 t. dijon mustard, 2 t. minced shallots, salt and pepper to taste

Garlic French- 1/2 c honey, 1/2 c ketchup, 1/2 c white vinegar, 1/2 t. paprika, 1 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, 1 clove grated garlic

I like the catalina-type recipe from The Tightwad Gazette. I definitely reduce the sugar to nothing or 1 teaspoon, though!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've used this one, especially on spinach salads:

1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When we want something not quite so oily, I use 1 tbsp of white miso (a container keeps forever) mixed with 1 tbsp of cold water, 1 TBSP of rice vinegar, a tiny dribble of olive oil along with fresh minced garlic and ginger. Bottled dressing now tastes rancid to me after making it fresh every time.

GREEN GODDESS SALAD DRESSING
    1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
    1/4 c. finely chopped chives
    4 finely chopped anchovy fillets
    1 finely chopped green onion
    2 tbsp. snipped parsley
    2 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
    1 tbsp. crushed tarragon
    Mix all ingredients together well and chill.
    *(You can sub sour cream for part of the mayo)

Balsamic Vinegar and oil works for me. You can add italian seasoning, minced garlic, scallions. I don't measure I just make it taste good. If you make home made dressing and its not like the bottled stuff its probably because you don't add sugar. I tend to try to not use sugar. The store bought stuff is loaded with sugar.

For Healthier dips or stuff that uses Mayonnaise try using plain yogurt.

when I want a sweet light dressing I throw this together:
    olive oil, lime juice, honey & if I have it, finely chopped cilantro

Mostly i just use a mix of good virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, Dijon Mustard, grind of black pepper and a tiny sprinkle of sea salt. Whisk all ingredients together until well amalgamated, pour over salad and serve immediately! I make it fresh for each use and in small quantity.

Generally just olive oil and wine vinegar. Olive oil and lemon juice works good as well (dijon mustard is a good addition here), salt and pepper. I've made salad dressings that were vinaigrettes with sun dried tomatoes added (soaked first and all pureed in the blender). Or vinegarettes with roasted red peppers blended (a lot of work - since I actually roasted them - but I suppose the jarred ones would work).
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information