Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you go?

Go to Thailand with Kasma. She is at thaifoodandtravel.com.

We did and enjoyed it so much, we are going again this November. Almost 100% all inclusive and less than 1/2 the cost of any American tour company. We took her Oakland CA cooking class before choosing to go with her and it was also a wonderful experience.

We will be in France in a month and are looking forward to the history of the place. We decided to take a Road Scholar tour but I would have been just as happy to plant myself anywhere in France and just enjoy it.

Japan was my absolute favorite destination. Modern, clean, friendly, exotic, safe, lovely.

NYC terrific.

Portland was a great trip since it was so easy to get around and could visit wonderful mountain and ocean locations easily.

I am from Alaska and would recommend a visit.

Man, the imagination runs wild! On my list would be a long trip through Central Asia and as many parts of the old Silk Road(s) that would be safe to visit; taking the Trans-Siberian Express from Moscow to Ulan Baator (in the SUMMER); Bulgaria, SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Japan, Indonesia), Dubai, Buenos Aires, ALL over India, ALL over Italy, South Africa, all over Central and South America, Montreal, Greenland, Iceland, Nova Scotia...who in the heck has time to work?!

The only places in the above list that I have already visited are Italy on a few trips, passing through Bulgaria on a bus, and Iceland for a six hour layover in which I got a chance to stroll around the capital. I'd love to visit other parts of the Middle East--I've been to Egypt, Turkey, and Tunisia already, but American-Israelis aren't exactly welcome in these places just at the moment!

Another dream I've had is to get passage on a cargo ship and see what strange places I'd end up visiting. I love port cities...the weirder the better, and I deeply regret never having visited fabulous Murmansk when I lived in Finland twenty years ago!

I'd spend part of a winter in Central America. Starting either in Cost Rica or Roatan and hitting the beaches of El Salvadore, Panama, and all places in between,as well as some inland areas and going back to some places where I spent time in Honduras.

What is going on with the dogs? Your sister going to take them?
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Let me threadjack for a moment. For those of you responding to this, have you always been travelers?

(wondering if my lack of travel wants, comes from a lack of travel exposure?)

I'm a wannabe traveler. I've seen some stuff in the US and Europe, but not nearly enough. My husband doesn't like to travel (although he usually has a good time on the trips I've nagged and naggged him to take) and I'm not confident enough to be traveling cross country alone. I'm hoping that when my grand nieces get older, I'll have some eager companions. So meanwhile, I dream about all the places I /could/ go.

I'm not much of a traveler. There are a lot of places I wouldn't mind seeing--if I could be teleported there, and then spend a couple of months. That's not likely to happen.

I have always liked to travel for 2 weeks & then I want to go home. I went to Thailand & would never go back-polluted air/water, etc. It was pretty though. I like Europe much better. I have been to upstate NY but now want to go to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire in the fall. Recently we have been exploring CA because it is so close & has many beautiful spots. I also love the National Parks but they are not dog friendly.

The West Coast Trail. I hope to make it there someday.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Let me threadjack for a moment. For those of you responding to this, have you always been travelers?
    Good question. I think travelling is an in-the-family thing, and if you didn't do it growing up then it is much less likely you'll get bitten by the travel bug. Me, my relatives are in Germany and India, and also growing up, dad packed everyone into the car with camper trailer attached and we visited KOA and other road-side campgrounds across N. America (great service BTW!).

Where would I go now, given time (yup) and money (nope)?

Closer to home.
    - Travel culturally to various festivals in small and big towns around my city, Agricultural fairs, Music festivals
    - Learning-based tours (e.g. a week on an historical sailing ship with lecturers on-board).
    - Travel through social class - ever spent a few nights in a homeless shelter? (note: poverty tourism for kicks is rather disgusting, but as an aid to helping and understanding it's OK.)
    Last edited by gadder; 3-28-14 at 3:47pm. Reason: messed up the quote

Both my husband and myself rarely went anywhere on vacation with our family while growing up. We both were too poor.

We had been married 10 years when I decided we were going to Europe for 4 weeks. We had our tickets, a Eurail pass and ferry reservations. What an exhausting trip. But we made it and had a whole lot of memories. Made it over several times and then took parents to London for their 40th wedding present. On the way got free tickets to anywhere PanAm flew by giving up our seats on original flight. That got us to India which was the farthest we could fly on their system and the most exotic. By then we had the bug and each time we saved up enough leave we would go somewhere. The world was changing so fast (I call it Americanizing) that we wanted to see it now.

Now retired, we are up to two long trips a year for the next few years. I can only think of a couple of places in the US I want to visit and we can do those later.

Thread Information