Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you turned a hobby into a business?

I'm amazed at what people are able to sell on EBay! I see people at the post office making money that way. (usually clothes.) I sold all of my old books on Amazon.com. I charged mid range prices, wrote a detailed description, and everything sold quickly!

I just went past $2000 total sales for the year so far on my jewelry and jewelry repair sales business! And it's not even the holiday season yet

Hi awakened soul,

Wow, you never cease to amaze me with how talented you are and about all of the really creative things you have done and do. You are such an interesting person! You definitely make me want to challenge myself...Thank...christine

Hi Tussiemussies,

How sweet of you. Thank you. I think everybody is talented and has unique gifts. I am lucky that my mom wanted to be a dancer and took me to classes at a young age. I had very creative, successful, master teachers. What I've done is because of them. Training is everything in the arts that I practice. Glad to hear you are challenging yourself. That's great.

I am in awe of the medical team that helped me after the bike accident. That's a real calling. Another art form...

We'll, not really a hobby into a business but an offshoot from my employment.

I was a very unhappy lecturer at our local college and for my own interest had been working on the antimicrobial effects of silver and how it's activity could be boosted with different underlying metals. After a few years I came up with a very effective system, patented it and I now manufacture it from home. It was very risky as the start up costs were huge and sourcing manufacturing equipment that worked on domestic electricity was a challenge. Now after a few years it is now turning a profit, I have a website www.aquamidas.com and I work from home on my terms!

I am in the process of decluttering, simplifying and finding contentment. Reading all your posts help and inspire me. Thank you

I wanted to take up piano lessons again so I began teaching beginners in order to pay for my own lessons.

Now not only have I gained so much satisfaction from my improved playing but I also find I love the teaching for its own sake, AND I earn money to spend however I want.

I have ... sort of. I have a slow but relatively steady trickle of clients for my photography business. I'm thinking the trickle could be a small stream, but I'm also finding that it's a battle of technology as cheaper cameras take better pictures (despite the person behind the shutter) and that most real-estate agents are quite satisfied with not only mediocre pictures, but a poor assortment of them (you really need to include in the listing a picture of the boiler?). And I have to combat my interest in retirement -- trading my time to save money for our household -- which takes away from time spent networking/prospecting for the business.

I'm fortunate in that we do pretty well on DW's income alone and that what I earn can be plowed back into the business. We're coming up on a dry period, though (people don't tend to shop for houses during the holiday season and remodeling slows down when it's cold and people are always in the house). So I'm thinking about a Plan B -- either a McJob or perhaps expanding into fine-art photography in time for the holidays.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I love creating things...either art or décor. DH and I have done a couple of "handyman" type jobs, we have sold things at garage sales, and I have sold about 20 oil paintings a few years back. I am taking a Woodworking class starting next week so that DH and I can start a business. I have made two rustic blanket ladders for our home and he has made two gallery shelves for a client. Next class I need to take at the high school is how to sell on Etsy and Ebay

SiouzQ,That's excellent! Congratulations! It sounds like you are on a roll with your jewelry. I hope you get a lot of repeat business.
    David, I'm so glad your investment paid off in profits. That takes guts!
    Aroha, Teaching is one of the best ways to learn and improve. I think it's great that you are teaching piano. Teaching dance used to pay for my dance lessons, too.
    Steve, That sound like turning a hobby into a business to me. The fine art photography sounds neat.
    citrine, 20 oil paintings! That's fantastic! Good luck with Etsy and EBay. Some people do really well in those venues.

TxZen
    Yes and Yes. I have my own pet sitting company- making enough to keep food on the table and I do marketing jobs on the side, mostly for start up and small businesses.

Thread Information