Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best food emergency planning

I have a few weeks worth of canned food - stuff that doesn't need to be cooked and also is packed in water or it's own juices so as to extend my drinking water supply - more of a worry here in hot dry SoCal then food. Also have lots of dry, light weight foods that also don't need to be cooked and that I can easily take with me if I have to leave the area on foot. Lots of water too in 2 gallon jugs as well as small bottles to carry if needed. I also keep lots of water stored in my backyard in case my house collaspes or burns down (plan to camp in the yard if that happens - and have some camping gear for that). Otherwise I don't worry about recipes or cooking - just open a can of beans or tuna and a can of fruit and eat! I also have a bike trailer I use to haul my dog around in and can load that up with food and water and personal stuff and just walk or bike out somewhat supplied in case my area was ever devastated and uninhabitable.

I think for those of us who shop at Costco, having 5 days worth of food is not a problem

We do keep water on hand. During the 1989 Earthquake our water was off for four days.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I think I have a bout 2 tons of Costco canned beans. I may be able to ride out a disaster but the after effect might not be pleasant :-)!

ROFLOL!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In addition to a well-stocked house, I have a stash away from the house in case of collapse/housefire/etc -- in metal garbage cans, and it works fairly well, cycling through expiring contents on a quarterly basis. But I am SICK of those fake Indian food pouches that look so darn convenient and space efficient -- not to mention cheap on sale regularly. But they are just gross, looking like someone has already digested them! I made one today and decided it's just not worth it -- no disaster can come fast enough for me to be willing to eat these things again. Back to canned foods, I guess, though they aren't much better...

Quote Originally Posted by gwendolyn View Post
    But I am SICK of those fake Indian food pouches that look so darn convenient and space efficient -- not to mention cheap on sale regularly. But they are just gross, looking like someone has already digested them!
    About every 4-5 years, I forget how bad they are, buy one, try it, and swear to never ever try one again. Blech.

Mountain House though makes a line of pretty decent tasty freeze-dried foods, if you are looking for that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    I loved reading, this, fascinating!
    +1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    I think I have a bout 2 tons of Costco canned beans. I may be able to ride out a disaster but the after effect might not be pleasant :-)!
    I think you're referring to one of those "secondary disasters" that Rosie spoke about in her thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I think you're referring to one of those "secondary disasters" that Rosie spoke about in her thread.
    Time to acclimate your digestive tract to avoid any such "secondary disasters"! "Beans, beans they're good for your heart.. I eat them all the time, so I never.."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

LOL catherine.....
    I've never heard that rendition. I'm used to the "Beans, beans, the musical fruit.....the more you eat the more you toot."

Thread Information