Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you in shape? How do you stay in shape and what's your routine?

Are you in shape? How do you stay in shape and what's your routine?

I'm "pushing fifty" and have had to start changing my exercise routine. I'm curious as to what other people on this forum do to stay fit. I'm not able to do some of the things I used to, (like the splits, big huge ballet jumps, etc...) It was kind of sad for me to admit that, but I don't want to get injured.

I ride the bike every morning. I take my dogs on the Walkydog. I do yoga or pilates each night. I also do all of the yard work myself, and the tree trimming. I'd like to get back into tap dancing, because I miss having really strong, muscular legs.

Oh, yeah, I'm in shape. I'd prefer to be in super athletic shape, but I'm content. I'm focusing more on strength exercises, because I like how they make me feel. My flexibility is a constant challenge.

How about you?

Note: This is a "non fight thread." Please do not criticize someone else's choices or put down what they're doing. I'm just interested in how you work your body physically...Maybe others are, too.

I'm pretty boring and stick to routine: Mon, Wed, Fri its the treadmill for 45 minutes, sometimes on an incline, sometimes with speed sprints. Tue, Thursday and either Sat or Sun, I use the rower for 20-25 minutes, followed by 1/2 hour on a bicycle (real bicycle on a trainer). On weekends where the weather allows, there is often an hour or so walk. When I'm in the office on Mondays and Thursdays I do 20 minutes of restorative yoga. There used to be skiing and snowshoeing and kayaking. Still would like to get back to kayaking- but car racks are expensive.

I'm sure I'm fit as far as my heart, but I'm pretty squishy looking on the outside despite all the working out. There are some serious abs that other people could see, if only I could lose the 10 lbs of fat that are covering them.

A mysterious knee pain has sidelined me so I am not feeling fit at all lately. No more stair climbing at work or long walks till I get this figured out. Normally, I don't do any particular exercises or activity other than walking but I've noticed that just keeping up with work, house, yard provides lots of moving and stretching - probably more than we think. It is amazing how quickly physical strength and stamina declines starting in your late 50s.

The dog keeps me walking for an hour a day but I am noticing that I need to do more to build flexibility during the winter. Yard work keeps me fit in the growing season.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm "pushing 60" and am pretty much set on a basic routine. I have a bike path a couple of blocks from my house and on bike days I go 20 miles. I like to ride to the Sinclair station and get a Snickers, which is probably a little cancelling of the excersize. On hiking days I do about 5 miles in the local county open space, which includes about an 800 foot elevation gain and loss. I can do one or the other of these about year round, probably four or five days a week and in warmer months I push this some. I usually have a couple of goals in mind to stay motivated and try to do a longer bike ride in an interesting place, backpacking trips, and some X- country skiing during the year. I do all my own yard work and do a session of yoga like stretches about 3 days a week. I don't go to a gym or do weight training.

I find that if I push the limits much beyond this, that I start getting some chronic aches and pains in my knees, ankles and back. It feels like I stay in pretty good shape, but would not consider myself athletic. Just in the last couple of years I've noticed some loss in range of motion and the joints are a little more creaky. Outdoor excersize is something I really enjoy but am less ambitious about stretching exercises but maybe I should readjust my routine.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I'm 50.

I'm in halfway-decent shape, I have a long way to go. I still need to increase my flexibility and strength significantly, while losing some more weight.

My program consists of:

- eating a semi-paleo/primal diet
    - fast-walking 60-120 mins a day, often with a 50 pound weight vest on
    - kettlebells for an hour a day, I use a 3 pood kettlebell for my strength work, and a series of lighter ones for agility and balance and endurance work
    - rowing 60-120 mins a day, or stairs with the weight vest on
    - I work in 2-3 120 minute fencing, knifefighting, or kung fu workouts a week

I am a firefighter/medical first responder, and as an interior structural firefighter they recommend I work out at *least* 90 minutes a day. Several times a year I have to pass the agility/fitness test. I also have to pass the wildland fire pack test once a year.

I am currently going through the technical rescue academy - rope rescue, wilderness S&R, urban S&R, and fireground rapid intervention team work - this is requiring a whole new level of strength and fitness commitment.

My motivations are:

- I don't want to go gently into that good night
    - I don't want someone else to perish that I could have saved had I been more able

I'm in pretty good shape, considering my age and fairly sedate lifestyle. I don't have an exercise routine, although in the summer months I stay pretty active outdoors, lots of walking, bending, stretching, etc. In the winter months, I often walk briskly to the bathroom, get plenty of rest and consume lots of liquids. I'm not sure that's working for me as well as it used to, as I approach 60 I find that my joints aren't as forgiving as they once were.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. You really learn a lot about people when you hear about their routine. It gives me a much clearer picture. I'm really impressed with the self discipline and motivation on this forum. This is a very fit group!

I'm in "just good" shape, aiming for much better/great. I'm pushing 60, really knocking on the door.

For the last couple years, twice weekly water aerobics and biking was my only exercise, and some walking, lots of gardening. (During the good weather, mostly in summer, I ride my bike either to work or for several mile rides several times a week.)

Then about 2 months ago, I decided to amp it up---I joined a Combo Fitness class which includes step aerobics, resistance, floor exercise (crunches, planks, pushups) and weights. It's amazing the effect this addition has had on my body. I'm getting toned in places that haven't been for eons. I belong to our local Y and Apr 17 I start a weight loss and fitness challenge, complete with prizes!!

I've lost 50 lb. in the last year or so. I'm in better shape now than I've been in 20 years.

ETA: Oh! and I almost forgot---I like working out to a Bollywood Dance exercise video...whooooot!!!! I do 10-20 min. in the morning if DH is gone...no way I'll do it if he's in the house!!!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I had a very good laugh from the title. Flashback to a friend of mine, whose wife, put him on a diet. She said I am going to get you in shape, and he said "I'm in shape, round is a shape!".

I honestly need to weigh myself, no inkling of where I am currently. I don't really view weight "as the factor". (know a local LEO, that had 3% body fat, and yet weight wise was told he was 30lbs overweight and had to lose it, almost became a court battle)
    Have family (extended) that all had diabetes and other issues due to size. I know it plays a factor. Once I had the choice to go to Hawaii with family, (trip and room paid for, I would have to come up with food and fun money), or use that money to have "elective surgery" for something that is elective, until it ruptures (then it becomes life saving). It kept me from getting jobs and health insurance. After the surgery, I was off work for quite a while (having it cost me my job). I gained size. When I was back to able to do things, I started walking and biking more (would love to get back into biking). My size came down, to the point I was in a pant size, I had never been in. Then it went back up as I gained more tone/strength (weight/resistance) and stopped biking (winter hit).

I need to get back into it, because last year, I started changing dietary habits (amounts and soda, my bad habit) and started losing weight again (I can almost see my abs and am almost down to that pant size again). I get more exercise then a lot of people, already (work), I think habits are my biggest issue.

Thread Information