Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: April Frugals

Oh yes, our dogs love sweet potatoes! My dogs are crazy about beans too - cheaper than dog food, makes an easy treat.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Excited that I saved $0.16 per gallon today when filling the car with diesel. Thank you Gas Buddy app!

Not much else to report because it's just the usual stuff. Trying to be diligent about bringing lunch and snacks with me to work. Started to fall into a pattern of just buying stuff from the cafeteria. Not good for my budget or my health! Doing better this week, but it's only Tuesday. Will report back later this week.

I, too, would like the recipe for frugal dog treats. Although, I must admit. I'm usually frugal in this area by simply not buying them any. If they require a treat for some reason, they get to lick some peanut butter off a spoon.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Well, for us, having to endure the ear medicine (every other day), and having to have our bath and pedicure (every two weeks), and then at least once every other day just for being adorable.....we've always kept treats on hand. I'll just never buy the store-bought ones full of unpronounceable chemicals and additives again.

1 large sweet potato
    1 tbs. olive oil
    cinnamon to taste (I've been using probably 1 tsp.)

Wash sweet potato, cut out bad spots if needed, then slice lengthwise into thinnish slices (I end up with all manner of shapes, the lengthwise longer ones just make larger treats. It doesn't matter. Just cut into slices as you will.) It is not necessary to peel. Place in mixing bowl and drizzle then toss with olive oil. Spread out on cookie sheet in single layer and sprinkle with cinnamon. (The original directions say to do this on a foil-lined cookie sheet - I have not found this to be necessary.) Bake at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Too easy.

Our first batch at 2 1/2 hours were chewy; at 3 hours they get more crunchy, and we think this is better for her dental health so we go with the crunchy ones. They ARE supposed to help with tartar removal. The recipe says they store in the fridge for 3 weeks, or the freezer for 4 months. Since I'm making a small batch, I've been putting them in a ziplock, dating it so I know when the 3 weeks is up, and throwing them in the fridge ready to hand out to her.

And our cost is about $1.50 for 3 weeks worth of treats, vs. $10.00 or more for the store-bought ones. And since she loves them, and seems to think they are indeed treats.....I am a convert.

Aldi's had cinnamon raisin bagels on clearance for 39 cents. I bought 8 packages and froze them. Such a great deal!

I managed to get 12 bottles of nail polish and 3 eye liners for free. I gave them to the ladies who bring me coupons.

I am waiting for my new washer and dryer to be delivered. A friend of ours is moving and is selling them to us for $125. I only need the washer. Hopefully I can find someone to buy the dryer from me.
    I didn't want to look back at the end of my life or after some great catastrophe and think, 'How happy I used to be then if only I'd realized it.'
    Gretchen Rubin-- The Happiness Project

Thread Information