Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Epidemics and vaccinations...

I'm interested in what an earlier poster said about the number of vaccinations that kids today get - I agree it's much higher than it used to be. If anyone knows more details on that I'd like to see it.

I'm agreeing that kids should get vaccinated, but at the same time it seems like it's a lot for their tiny bodies to handle when it's all given in such a short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I'm interested in what an earlier poster said about the number of vaccinations that kids today get - I agree it's much higher than it used to be. If anyone knows more details on that I'd like to see it.

I'm agreeing that kids should get vaccinated, but at the same time it seems like it's a lot for their tiny bodies to handle when it's all given in such a short space of time.
    I think that's probably because there are more diseases that we can vaccinate against in then in the past. So therefore we get more vaccines. I know this is true for my dog. Back when I was a kid my dog would just get a rabies and distemper vaccine. Now there is a whole huge list of vaccinations your dog is suppose to get that didn't exist a couple of decades ago. Same for adults who are travelling to foreign countries. Decades ago you'd get a few vaccines, now you get a huge amount.

I went to the CDC website to check their recommended schedule of immunizations - wow, I came up with 45 for a child under the age of 12 who was born in 2009... Now, 12 of those are the flu shot, as it is recommended for yearly dosage. I don't think those are combined, either, these are the counts of each immunization - the MMR is a combo of three diseases in one immunization (counts as one) as is the dpt...

I wonder if there is a national standard of required for school minimum - as most of the above *could* be considered voluntary...

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    One of the great threats to public health is the disinformation coming out of the anti-vac crowd. Pretty amazing some of the nonsense pseudoscience spouted to no good effect.
    I don't think the other side helps with the blanket "vaccines are safe" statement. It isn't any more honest than the other stuff. I'd be more comfortable hearing the possible side-affects and rates of adverse affects and making an informed choice. I think it would be better to hand out sheets listing side-affects and possible issues and a chance to ask questions like they do with other medications than to be approached with unmarked hypodermic and being told "it's perfectly safe".

I think it would be better to hand out sheets listing side-affects and possible issues and a chance to ask questions like they do with other medications than to be approached with unmarked hypodermic and being told "it's perfectly safe".

I don't know about any other agencies, but at the health dept. I worked at, and at my kids' pediatricians here in WA State, the parent is handed a sheet of side effects (Vaccine Information Statement) for each vaccine administered. These sheets talk about the what, why and what-ifs related to the vaccine. The providers also speak to the parents about the contents and ask if the parent has any questions. It's not like they simply come in the room and start shooting.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    ...I wonder if there is a national standard of required for school minimum - as most of the above *could* be considered voluntary...
    I'm sure there is a medical standard which is "national" but it would be a very very bad idea to have a national regulation or law, if that's what you mean, defining one-size-for-all medical treatment. Sure it is voluntary, it should be.

I find a lot of this whole discussion pretty frustrating. First, there is evidence for autism starting in the second trimester of development, and has to do with how the cortex of the brain forms. So no, there is no possible way autism could be caused by vaccines, since babies are generally not vaccinated until they are born. Even if the paper purporting the autism/vaccine link had not been discredited by every scientist, ever, including both the idiot and the editors of the journal who published it in the first place.

Second, there can be some side effects from vaccines and usually they are a sickly feeling, low fever or soreness at the site of injection. Side effects of the diseases they prevent can be much worse: anyone know what an iron lung is, for example? Or deafness, paralysis, loss of limbs, major scarring, retardation, seizures, pain and malaise. You could ask the Dr if anti-histamines meds are appropriate in the case of an adverse reaction to a vaccine, and it should be. I do this for our cat, who has clear problems with the rabies vaccine (vomiting and/or itching).

Third, a lot of people complain about the number of vaccines given or the cluster of vaccines given at one time. That's not a mistake; vaccines are generally made of virus parts, dead viruses, or viruses closely related to the disease-causing ones that have been modified into low-potent viruses. This means your body doesn't really see them as something to make a lot of antibodies against, like getting dirt in a cut or something. To get your body to mount an immune response, vaccines include other substances to trigger the antibody reaction (hopefully without the histamine-type reaction which makes you feel crappy). It turns out that sometimes having several different vaccines together makes your body mount a more effective antibody reaction than if they were singly given. The reason you have to get boosters for some diseases, such as MMR and hepatitis B is that the booster creates a much greater response by your body, which leads to more effective protection. The medical community would rather give a single vaccine than multiple at different times because compliance rates would be much better, but unfortunately viruses (and in the case of tetanus, bacteria) are varied and so are individual people. In some cases the standard schedule is arranged to try to get good compliance while maintaining safety and having the most effective protection and least number of boosters. It IS science but it's not straightforward science the way, say, setting a broken arm is straightforward. No pun intended...

I for one cannot fathom why people would skip stuff like HPV vaccine for their children. It's a vaccine against one type of CANCER. We have a vaccine against CANCER!!!! Which is totally awesome! If there were a vaccine against, say, lung cancer would you get your child that? Or say "well that will just encourage him/her to smoke cigarettes so nope"? <shakes head> Thank goodness for The Onion though!

I appreciate the information on the practice of giving multiple vaccines together, RosieTR. That explanation makes sense.

It has to be super frustrating for scientists to watch the misinformation continue.

Thread Information