Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Fitness and Healthy Eating Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I'm continuing my foot rehabilitation. I went for a long ramble (6 miles or so) and had very little foot pain until I got back onto the pavement. Then I could feel every step, not only in my foot but in my lower back and shoulder. So I'm going to try and get in as much off-road walking as I can - better for my spirit, as well as body!
    I too am more off-road now. I can really tell a difference in my ankle and lower leg with how far I can go or how much running I can do when I stay on the wood trails instead of the regular walking paved trail.
    And in good news the new pants I bought 5 weeks ago are now too big! April has been a good month after that long dreary winter.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I mentioned several times my goal of losing 58 pounds since April 24 last year, by that date this year. Started out at 223, goal was 165. This is what my scales read this morning...

A day early and a pound lower than my goal. SUCCESS!!! Except my old Marine buddy is teasing me because I still can't fit in my old dress blues. I weigh a pound less than in the Marines, but maybe those pounds are just in different places.

And then I went to the doc for my annual checkup. Bad cholesterol a little high at 83 (he wants it at 70 or lower). Good cholesterol a little low at 37. Needs to be over 40. Triglycerides and blood sugar levels were perfect. BP was 118 over 72. PSA count was .5 (goal is less than 4, so that is good!).

All in all, not a bad report for a 61 year old heart attack survivor. Now to move into sustaining mode for health and weight, and switch to strength training.

Or maybe I'll lose those next 8 to 10 pounds and see if I can squeeze into that uniform.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Congratulations, Storyteller! My DH is on a 40-lb weight lost quest and I hope he has similar results!

Congratulations, Storyteller! That's fantastic!

I have done 17 of the 18 walks I was aiming for this month, though several of my other goals have fallen by the wayside. Still, I'm getting in better shape.

I have found it can be surprising how long it can take muscle injuries to heal. Treatment helps but costs time and money - depends how much of both you have. The major pain may diminish but a niggling discomfort can remain for some time - especially if they are muscles which are difficult to truly rest. Even though i am reasonably fit i had a muscle spasm down one side of my body - basically from the hips all the way down. I had enormous trouble sleeping, i was getting massage twice a week and on painkillers just to get thru the day. eventually it settled down but it took several weeks. And this was not an actual injury - just muscle spasm.

I once somehow injured the muscles in a finger and it took months to heal - because they were muscles i couldn't properly rest.

I think when injuries are muscle based, genuine rest is important, and treatment such as physio or massage will help speed up the process - but you need to find a good practitioner.

Thread Information