Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you, (or did you,) enjoy your work?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I worked for the county Rob...but in SW Washington.
    Ah Ok....I worked for Multnomah County in the early to mid 90's in Property Taxation. Not the same county, though. Rob

My current job is one I've had for almost 20 years, and is my best one. I work in the intersection of aviation and legal fields. Really like my bosses and my co-workers. I have a lot of autonomy - don't have to clock in or out - and don't have to supervise anyone. Am paid well and have great benefits. It's business casual dress every day, with jeans on Fridays.

Even with all that, I too will be glad to retire within the next few years. I went straight from college to full-time work (and worked part-time in college). My 5-week maternity leave 30 years ago was the longest time I've had off in a row since I started first grade in 1960. So 55 years of full-time school or work is enough!

Wow! That's a long time, Lainey! I'm impressed.

As I've said other places, being a librarian has been a rewarding career. But libraries are changing and I'm changing; I'm ready for retirement.

I started working at a Jewish county club when I was 16, as the evening/weekend receptionist, and left 25 yrs later as the assistant office manager/accounts receivable manager. I liked it, but the business was changing and becoming less important to our members (other clubs had opened up to our members as society became less prejudiced) so for my last 7 or so years there I was also raising our kids and going back to college part time. I got my teaching degree shortly after I quit the Club, and have been teaching ever since. I spent a year in a traditional high school, which I hated, and then got a long-term sub gig at a Joint Vocational High School, and discovered that I really enjoyed working with "those" kids - the ones who were in and out of trouble, struggled with academics, and were very unmotivated in general. From there I fell into teaching social studies at a juvenile detention center, where I've been for 14 years. I went back to school and got a masters in special education, and am now the special ed coordinator for the three schools run by our Juvenile Court. AND I still get to teach a class of social studies most days! It's very challenging off and on, and sometimes heartbreaking, but always rewarding. I love my job!

That's great! I love hearing about people who are enthusiastic about their careers. Yours is a special talent.

Even with all that, I too will be glad to retire within the next few years. I went straight from college to full-time work (and worked part-time in college). My 5-week maternity leave 30 years ago was the longest time I've had off in a row since I started first grade in 1960. So 55 years of full-time school or work is enough!
    woah. I've been lucky enough to have periods of unemployment (usually just 5-6 months), I can't imagine .
    Trees don't grow on money

I was/am a musician and enjoyed it immensely. I play several different instruments and worked with a few different bands back in the day. I sang too, mostly back-up.

I still love music, but MS makes it nearly impossible for me to perform these days.

My youthful ambition was to spend all my time with my boyfriend. In another place and time I might have been a high-end courtesan. I got a degree in History with emphasis on Medieval and Tudor England. While in school I worked as a waitress and inventory taker. When I graduated the local unemployment rate was 24% (1976 in the Rust Belt). The part time chambermaid job I got wasn't enough to live on and then temp work wasn't reliable enough so I went to paralegal school, Estates, Trusts and Wills. I like the subject but don't have the personality to blend in in a law firm, plus after the first year it got to be the same old same old.

I moved to Texas and got a very well paid (by my standards) job rebuilding jet engines. I liked it but the aircraft industry is cyclical and I got laid off. So I got married and became a full time step mother. After a while I went to work in customer service for the subsidiary of AT&T that handled all the stock related stuff that arose from Divestiture. I enjoyed helping people understand and manage their stock. After a few years I got bored and applied for in-house programmer training. I loved programming but my health gave out and I was unable to work for several years.

After a while I started working in my husband's vending business, both the administrative stuff and servicing and repairing machines. That was okay but I soon tired of it. Then I sold wigs, and other stuff on eBay for a few years. A couple other short term jobs, companion, self-storage relief manager, blah, blah. (My complete job history is 20+ jobs). Production control clerk I didn't like because of the toxic corporate culture, it was like working on a pirate ship. Purchasing clerk was kind of fun, but I left that job to care for my husband through terminal cancer. Lately I rent rooms on Airbnb, which is interesting, and am surprised I actively enjoy paid-to-click and crowd-sourcing work at home. I spent two years part time writing my book. That was nearly as rewarding - and challenging - as parenting was.

Sadly, courtesan work is rather like pro athletics, one ages out, so it won't work for me as a retirement job.
    Blogging at adventures99.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by reader99 View Post
    . . . Sadly, courtesan work is rather like pro athletics, one ages out, so it won't work for me as a retirement job.
    you are too funny!

that's an amazing string of jobs. I think I've had about 4 main jobs in 33+ years. I never stopped to think that's probably way less than average, especially these days.

Thread Information