Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you, (or did you,) enjoy your work?

A year of secretarial work at a nonprofit

Full time mom for 8 years with some part time tutoring, music teaching, and babysitting

Then back to college for my degree -took 6 years cause I was part time still raising my kids

Then the last 17 years in nursing - primary care office, med surg inpatient, psych inpatient, community mental health nursing, jail nursing, then inpatient court ordered psych nursing -in that order.

I have enjoyed most aspects of everything I've done since 1980. And I've struggled with about 20% of every stage too. No situation is perfect. But I have great stories to tell.

Coming from a very dysfunctional family situation, I have struggled for many years to figure out what I wanted to be/do. As my only obvious talent was art, I headed off in that direction and got an almost degree in Fine Arts followed by several years of painting before I realized I could not earn my keep with that endeavor. I tried what was then called commercial art and got a position creating logos and designs for advertising specialty items - yuck! Next a job as a retail manager at an interior design store. Time off for child rearing and dealing with sick relatives. Also had an antique business during this time selling at regional antiques shows. Decided I wanted the stability and perks of a state job and came to work for the university - slowly working my way up the admin chain in many interesting departments. I now realize that by nature I have what is referred to a service heart and find purpose when I am helping/serving others so that aspect of my job has been a good fit. The bureaucracy sucks. I have loved being around and helping students. In many ways, grad students are sometimes like kindergartners - they need a lot of guidance I have a ridiculous amount of autonomy with my current position and decent pay but I am salivating to retire in 1 1/2 years. Then I will do what I now love most - garden to my hearts content, devote time to volunteer conservation efforts and perhaps become entrepreneurial once again. I have deep regrets about not getting my education and having a professional career but didn't do too bad considering all the pitfalls. If I had a do over, I still don't know what I would choose.

Thanks for all the replies. It's fun to hear these stories and reflections. CathyA, I think your career was just as exciting. I got chills when I read about it. You write beautifully.

Everyone has different talents. Most of us feel happier and more fulfilled if we use our talents and creativity.

I've never had a career but some of my jobs I've enjoyed (I did not enjoy being a bank manager/loan officer). I worked in youth ministry/recreation ministry for several churches, coordinated and lead backpack trips on Colorado for youth groups, was a cave guide for two different caves, coordinated "winter trail" (recruiting trips) for a sports camp, managed our glass studio (loved the trade shows and art shows, working with the gallery owners, etc), currently I just work part time for our church so I'm available for the kids but they graduate next year so I'm thinking a lot about "what's next."
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I worked for 13 years at our local health department, loved it immensely until the last couple years; I was bored, but got a taste of public information work --my boss was laid off and her PIO position was eliminated. Decided to go back to school. Got my degree---have not found degree-related employment ever since.

Currently I do NOT like my job--many days, including today, usually Mondays--I hate it. I feel stuck as people oddly are not out there clamoring to hire 60 year-old women. So...trying to make the best of it until I can retire. It does pay well, but does not seem to be worth the sleepless nights.

I think back to my happiest time---when I was raising toddlers as a stay-at-home mom and volunteering at our local community education program teaching calligraphy. And raising goats and an organic garden.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I was a hospital pharmacist. I worked mostly in the operating room. The most challenging was the cardiovascular/transplant surgical area. I loved being prepared for anything and being part of that team. I am now retired and am very good at it!!

In my early years I was an office worker & hated it. Then when my youngest went to school I started college. I have been a social worker (very challenging) and then found a career I love providing vocational testing/career counseling to people with disabilities to help them get back to work. Working for the state was a challenge at times but now I have a pension. I now have my own business doing the same type of work & I teach p.t. at the university which I also love.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I think back to my happiest time---when I was raising toddlers as a stay-at-home mom and volunteering at our local community education program teaching calligraphy. And raising goats and an organic garden.
    I hope you can get back to that, Kay. It sounds wonderful...

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I worked for 13 years at our local health department, loved it immensely until the last couple years; I was bored, but got a taste of public information work --my boss was laid off and her PIO position was eliminated. Decided to go back to school. Got my degree---have not found degree-related employment ever since.

Currently I do NOT like my job--many days, including today, usually Mondays--I hate it. I feel stuck as people oddly are not out there clamoring to hire 60 year-old women. So...trying to make the best of it until I can retire. It does pay well, but does not seem to be worth the sleepless nights.

Hi KayLR - just curious. Do you work for the county out your way? Years ago I applied for a position with country government in a dicey part of North Portland as a front desk representative and did not get it - small world indeed though if it was through the same employer you might be working for.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Hi KayLR - just curious. Do you work for the county out your way? Years ago I applied for a position with country government in a dicey part of North Portland as a front desk representative and did not get it - small world indeed though if it was through the same employer you might be working for.....Rob
    I worked for the county Rob...but in SW Washington.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information