Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excellent TED.NPR round up of latest money research

Excellent TED.NPR round up of latest money research

I just listened to a great episode on my drive home -- great behavioral economics research round up/excerpts of TED talks. This is great fodder for those of you teaching classes/ leading groups/ mentoring. Take a listen/watch and share your thoughts here!

"The Money Paradox" episode on the TED radio hour.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseFI View Post
    I just listened to a great episode on my drive home -- great behavioral economics research round up/excerpts of TED talks. This is great fodder for those of you teaching classes/ leading groups/ mentoring. Take a listen/watch and share your thoughts here!

"The Money Paradox" episode on the TED radio hour.
    I also heard that show while out gardening over the weekend and was struck how typical an NPR vision it all was, in short: 1) big income gaps in t he U.S.-- Bad! 2) rich people bad! 3) money bad! for people, not make them happy.

And then Ira Glass came on with a show he had lifted from (was it Radio lab?) about the white guy who wanted a Chinese bride, and this was only 2 hours after the same damned show show had aired on ?Radiolab? Since I had already seen the film about the white guy who married the Chinese girl, I hardly wanted to hear two radio summaries of it on the same day.

It was a weak NPR day and ira needs new schtick. Still, I have the annual NPR membership form on my counter and I will send it in. Reluctantly. Wish they'd venture out of their comfort zone.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-9-14 at 4:36pm.

Iris Lilies, are we sisters? I find myself saying the same thing when I talk back to the radio and TV. Each station plays to their demographic. Guess I would rather be the NPR demographic but wish for so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Iris Lilies, are we sisters? I find myself saying the same thing when I talk back to the radio and TV. Each station plays to their demographic. Guess I would rather be the NPR demographic but wish for so much more.
    Probably we ARE sisters, haha.

There are times when I love NPR beyond all reason. But the programming last Sunday was so predictible and then downright incompetent, that I was disappointed to have to spend a spring afternoon outside with that station (and my radio dial doesn't know any other stations!) What kills me is that Ira Glass completely sincerely does not understand that NPR leans left he's done an entire show on that topic.

I have to laugh about the appealing-to-demographic comment. Wonder what demographic Cadillac is appealing to: http://youtu.be/qGJSI48gkFc
    and here is Ford's response: http://youtu.be/jAN61QK0aUI. I'm not sure if I've ever seen two things which sum up more clearly the difference in world view and self-view, right to left. (At least as marketers perceive them!) Which world view do you resonate with?

I also heard that show while out gardening over the weekend and was struck how typical an NPR vision it all was, in short: 1) big income gaps in t he U.S.-- Bad! 2) rich people bad! 3) money bad! for people, not make them happy.
    Well from the 1st and maybe the 2nd I'd conclude the polar opposite for the 3rd. They money is absolutely required to have a decent life in the U.S., I really have no doubt about it! It's too obvious just from living. Not massive wealth, not independently wealthy wealth (though I'm sure it helps ), but a certain amount of money. I mean how else are you going to afford the basic things that make life flow easily with such big income gaps etc. (and I don't mean baubles and bling and stuff - I'm talking things far more cental).

Quote Originally Posted by gwendolyn View Post
    I have to laugh about the appealing-to-demographic comment. Wonder what demographic Cadillac is appealing to: http://youtu.be/qGJSI48gkFc
    and here is Ford's response: http://youtu.be/jAN61QK0aUI. I'm not sure if I've ever seen two things which sum up more clearly the difference in world view and self-view, right to left. (At least as marketers perceive them!) Which world view do you resonate with?
    Oh I love the 2nd commercial the Ford commercial "because we give a damn, that's why!". Love, love, love!!! (but I drive Asian cars) Although like I said making a difference is not what most people do for money, but I've seen people give a lot to volunteering commitments (to the point they need to be warned about burn out etc. ... not good, not good). I hate the Cadillac commercial.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Well from the 1st and maybe the 2nd I'd conclude the polar opposite for the 3rd. They money is absolutely required to have a decent life in the U.S., I really have no doubt about it! It's too obvious just from living.
    haha, my 3rd conclusion was greatly simplified.

I am referring to a study that showed people are truly made happy by giving money away. My own conclusion was interjected as "money bad and rich people bad because rich people don't give money away." It's greatly simplified, but is my takeaway from that Tedtalk.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-9-14 at 5:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Actually, what NPR did was highlight peer-reviewed research (albeit couched in perhaps their entertainment audience's dialect) that seems to prove 1) 2) and 3)... or rather, that our current design of money itself and the economic system in general, artificially creates scarcity, enforces competition, gives outsize rewards to greed rather than sharing, and as a result, people who have outsize success in said economy and with said money are likely to either start off greedy, or become greedy, detached from consequences, and oblivious to interdependence as a result of the special social experiences of those with significant money and all the access and immunity that provides.

IL, I think you are obfuscating the science by putting up the red herring about NPR's politics. But the science is continually pointing toward this phenomena. SHOW US SOME SCIENCE THAT POINTS TO THE OPPOSITE CONCLUSION, and then you'll have a point. Believe me, I've been looking into this for quite a while, and it would be such a mood booster to read that our society doesn't reward sociopathology!

On an anecdotal level, (which is really neither here nor there of course) I have to say that I've experienced this personally. While generosity is something I highly value, and so I have been thrilled that my percentage of giving has been able to increase as ours has become a financially secure household, I've experienced personally that being completely debt-free is a whole different American experience. I felt a polar shift within 6 years, as I went from being someone deeply vulnerable to exploitation and economic abuse, as a debtor (miss a payment by one day and interest rates go up to 36%?!), to being a creditor -- it seems like the whole world tilted to be rigged FOR me rather than against me -- and I have the Wall Chart to prove it. I had no idea until it happened just what a visceral change it is, and I've tried to remain very cognizant of how crazy and abhorent that phenomena is. But admittedly, I have always cut off pedestrians -- I learned to drive in Boston after all!

Quote Originally Posted by RoseFI View Post
    I had no idea until it happened just what a visceral change it is, and I've tried to remain very cognizant of how crazy and abhorent that phenomena is.
    sorry I'm not sure I understand what is abhorrent about your becoming debt-free?

Then there's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKv0mi6q0Mk
    ...The car for people who want to be worshiped. The other Cadillac commercial evokes a knee-jerk revulsion in me--that whole arrogant "corporate power isn't everything, it's the only thing" vibe--but I love the houses in both, for whatever that's worth.

Thread Information