Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Excellent TED.NPR round up of latest money research

Quote Originally Posted by RoseFI View Post
    Thanks for asking for clarification, Aroha. The phenomena that I find crazy and abhorent is NOT that of being out of debt! But rather the phenomena that the less financially vulnerable one is, the more one is insulated from consequences of one's own and others' actions, and the easier it is to solve problems by throwing money at them, rather than exercising creativity and collaboration and, in some cases, compassion and other important social skills. On the other hand, our society is increasingly one where money is the only way to solve most problems, and that means people without sufficient capital are more vulnerable to all types of risks, without the means to mitigate those risks through insurance, legal representation, warranties, etc.
    Ah, thanks Rose. Still, it helps to have financial stability in order to be generous and compassionate when the need arises. Whether one actually chooses to do so is perhaps the nub of the matter.

I too have found it is much easier to be generous and compassionate when it's very clear I'm not sacrificing my own survival or my fulfillment to be so.
    ----
    Joseph
    Truthfulness, compassion, tolerance.

For many of us money vs labor is a false dichotomy. I only have money because of my labor. The value of my unskilled labor is very low. Let's take Habitat for Humanity. When I'm carrying wood or maybe running a nail gun, I'm displacing paid labor that might make $10-20/hr. So after spending the day volunteering the value of my contribution is around $100. But if I work at my skilled job and make $1000 for the day and donate that $1000 to HFH, that's somehow bad because I have used money as a medium to convert my skilled labor into housing assistance for the poor in a more valuable way than I could have directly? Money is just a vessel for flexible allocation of the value of your labor. I don't see how hewing to an inefficient exchange model is morally superior.

Thread Information