Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My tax accountant completely lost it!

My tax accountant completely lost it!

Hello friends,

Can someone give me some insight on this?
    I have gone to the same tax account (CPA) for 19 years. He does a meticulous job with filling out all my tax forms. When I had cancer he actually took the trouble to send me a get well card---which I did not expect, but appreciated. I've always been courteous to him and have paid him fully and immediately upon receipt of the completed work. One year he made an error and he corrected it and paid the IRS penalty. (It was a small error and a small penalty.) When I go in to sign the forms he goes over them meticulously. I've noticed over the years that if I ask a question he usually seems irritated, but I have never had any "incidents" with him. I am always courteous to him, why wouldn't I be?

This year I had two questions for him--and I sent him a letter with all my tax materials ahead of time telling him what the questions would be.
    (1) Could he please look at all my sources of income and help me estimate a withholding that will result in a smaller refund.
    (2) Could he please look at all my sources of income and tell me whether I am allowed to buy a Roth IRA this year?

When I went in to pick up my forms and sign them, I asked him the second question first. He gave me a sort of formula answer that I didn't quite understand so I tried to ask a clarifying question.

He exploded! He slammed his finger down on a tax table and said in a furious tone of voice: "WHAT did I just TELL you?!"

I was dumbfounded. I said "Are you angry with me?"

He just glared at me. I suddenly actually felt AFRAID.

Finally he said, "THIS is NOT the time!"

I said very well, paid him, and got the heck out of there. He has a small office and his secretary had left for the day. When I was right at the door I turned around and said "Mr. ______, I've been doing business with you for a long time. I've always trusted you and counted on you. I told you in my letter that I would have some questions and you could have alerted me ahead of time that you would not be able to discuss these questions at this meeting. I don't deserve to be scolded in this mean way." I took care to look at the floor rather than directly at him while I was saying this---angry people can get feel very threatened if someone looks them in the eye and I was already probably taking a risk just saying what I said. Anyway, after I said that I scrammed.

I realize that my questions about taxes are probably stupid and I also realize that tax season is a very high stress time for tax people. I would really appreciate any insight on this that you guys might provide--esp. anyone who is a himself or herself a tax accountant, although I realize those folks probably don't have time to be online any time between now and April 14th.

The whole episode was so strange. I feel bad about it.

Wow. I don't care how busy they are but if you are paying them they should answer your questions normally and politely. Especially those question which seem very basic and pertinent. I think you did the right thing by saying something right then. Don't think I would have had the guts - would have been too shocked. But I don't think there's any more to do. Leave him be, if you have what you need done for this year and find a new tax person next year.

This is too bad. I'd be looking for a new accountant next year myself. It's always sad to have to give up a longtime relationship but you must need to feel safe.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Geez.. that was uncalled for. I'm sure tax accountants are pretty stressed out this time of year, but still--you don't take it out on your clients! Especially clients who are long-standing and who have good questions (NOT stupid questions, at least IMHO). You are paying him and have a right to get the answers to your questions.

I'd get another accountant.

I have had an accountant for only 3 years--the years that we had the house from my MIL that was such a burden. Because it was jointly owned, and we rented part of the time, I thought I should go to a CPA. My tax burden was the highest it's ever been (I'm sure this was not his fault, but... ).

Last year I noticed he did not deduct property taxes etc from the 2nd house. I looked up on a number of sites, and from what I could figure out, I was entitled to that rather sizeable deduction. So I emailed him with my question. He got back to me a few days later with something about taking depreciation this year vs. doing it next year blah blah blah. Nothing I could understand, but it left me wondering if he was engaging in double-speak because he didn't want me to know it was his oversight. He redid my taxes with the property taxes/mortgage interest taken as a deduction.

We no longer have the house, and I think I'm just going to muddle through doing my own taxes again. I've already done all the TurboTax inputting and I just have to check it. He wrote and asked if I'm bringing him stuff, and I don't know.. I can still send him my paperwork and he'll file an extension, as always.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would be extremely angry with him. I would never go back to him. He's no doubt displacing his anger/frustration with the rest of his life on to you.
    I would most definitely find a new accountant. And I, personally, would write him a letter, saying how totally inappropriate and misplaced his anger was.
    So sorry this happened to you!

I have worked for over 20 years with CPA's and I have never worked with one that acted like that. Tax season is highly stressful, it could be that he just can't handle anything that adds to the stress, (questions), or it is another matter entirely, (personal things going on that the stress of tax season makes worse), but whatever the cause he had no right to talk to you like that and you certainly don't have to continue with him. The ones I have worked for seem to always but the client first, after all they are the ones who are paying their salary, and do the best job for them they can. Part of that best job is conducting through and polite interviews, answering questions and making sure everything is clear. There is no such thing as a dumb question - that is part of what you are paying him for, his understanding of issues that you don't have. Go elsewhere next year!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I've experienced this with people, too. It's displaced anger, or rage. It's good that you said something right away. I've known a lot of teachers who blow up at students this way. They just lose it and vent. Frustrated mothers act this way a lot. I don't think your questions were stupid at all. Try not to doubt yourself. I've left work situations where the owners acted this way. I told them why, too. (in a letter.) It sounds like a pattern of abuse.

You deserve to be treated with respect.

Rachel, your questions were entirely valid, you were very brave and spot-on appropriate to speak as you did before leaving, and if the CPA does not send you-- on his initiative -- an apology and explanation, you should drop him like a hot potato. In my experience, these days people are taking all sorts of medications that lead to irrational or explosive rage if the dose isn't right: therapeutic steroids, anti-depressants, hormones (don't get me started on this stupid new trend of testosterone "therapy" to pathologize natural aging.) And I don't know how old he is, but there's also the symptoms of dementia, there's PTSD, etc. He might have an compassion-inspiring explanation, but it's his to offer up (eta: you gave him clear notice that it was unacceptable behavior) -- and if he doesn't, then I think it's fair to assume that his erratic behavior will likely continue and you should not expose yourself to it.

If he does not apologize, explain himself, (and maybe even then) definitely I would never darken his door again. There are plenty of professionals out there who would be glad to have your business. You were very brave and I'm glad you said what you did. I'm not sure I would have had the composure. I would have been too shocked and afraid!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I am going to echo all the other posters who recommend seeking different tax help next year. Given that that tax code is a nightmare of complexity in the United States and seems to become more complex every year - questions such as yours are definitely legit in my book. Furthermore, I'm sure you are paying this tax person good money to keep you in the IRS's good graces - to fill out your taxes competently and maximize any potential refunds while complying with tax code. You deserve at rock bottom to be treated neutrally.

I also believe you handled this situation with a great deal of dignity and class. Kudos to you. Rob

Thread Information