Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stocking up/inflation & shortages

Stocking up/inflation & shortages

Did a big stock up shop this weekend for the fall/winter. Got a lot of canned tomatoes. I keep hearing about coming shortages of tomatoes due to drought in California.

What are you folks doing?

305127122_10222772207598747_5668296454790433916_n.jpg

I planted 18 tomato plants and we had a bumper crop. This is the bitter end still on the vine. I have boxes and boxes in the garage. I have been cooking and preserving every day for weeks. I also have a ton of bell peppers and sweet onions. I'm on salsa duty for the family reunion this weekend.

I shop once a month like normal and just pick up a few things in between.

We continue to carry a much larger inventory of cat food than normal because we can't always get the preferred flavors, so we buy quite a bit when it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post

I planted 18 tomato plants and we had a bumper crop. This is the bitter end still on the vine. I have boxes and boxes in the garage. I have been cooking and preserving every day for weeks. I also have a ton of bell peppers and sweet onions. I'm on salsa duty for the family reunion this weekend.
    Wow!! Congratulations!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We continue to carry a much larger inventory of cat food than normal because we can't always get the preferred flavors, so we buy quite a bit when it's available.
    A bunch of cat owning friends have said the same thing.

That sounds fab!

Have actually been trying to eat out of the pantry the last week or so. Saw that some of the canned goods were approaching expiration dates. Need to restock on a bunch of stuff, but haven't sat down and done an actually inventory-like accounting of needs and wants. This thread is a good reminder - thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That is a wonderful crop of tomatoes. We have a nice amount coming in and I’m freezing several bags of them, but nothing on the level you’re doing. DH is busy working on our house these days so his gardening efforts are minimal. It’s not been a good year for peppers. We have excess cucumbers.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I take an hour or so each week and go through ads and coupons. It has to be something we definitely use to buy a few for the pantry. I’m experimenting with a small hydroponic unit because it is too hot all summer for much to survive outside. This afternoon we will be cleaning and organizing the pantry.
    this may just be the beginning of a water crisis everyone has known for years was coming with all the desert construction and subsequent water needs.

Thread Information