Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Contents of hiking backpack.

Ticks, do tell me what does everyone use to keep the ticks away while out hiking? Planning a hike on a loop trail in a heavy tick area next year and ticks are really my worst fear.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Ticks, do tell me what does everyone use to keep the ticks away while out hiking? Planning a hike on a loop trail in a heavy tick area next year and ticks are really my worst fear.
    I use either Repel or Cutter's Deep Woods spray. I've only gotten ticks on me when I wasn't wearing any spray.

Same as rosa - basically anything with Deet. I have a sibling that is now living with life-long effects of lyme disease. One of my children has also had it, but so far is fine.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I agree with using deet. Also, wear long sleeves and pants with the pants tucked into your socks and shirt tucked Into pants. Then, as soon as possible afterwards take a shower and put your clothes in the dryer on hot for long enough to kill any ticks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Even if you don't have cell service the gps function of the phone should still work.
    I didn't know that. Thats a good tip. I still would be more comfortable with a GPS though.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFinder View Post
    I didn't know that. Thats a good tip. I still would be more comfortable with a GPS though.
    That’s a fair choice. The difference is that unless your map is pre-downloaded the phone will not be able to show where you currently are if you have no cell service. So for instance I download the maps on the All Trails app before I go out hiking so even with no cell service the gps function will still plot me on a map. If the map hasn’t been pre-downloaded then the gos function is useless. It will plot me on a blank screen.

Thread Information