Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Contents of hiking backpack.

I have been day hiking, my goal was a several day section hike of the AT next summer. I have been collecting, reading and talking to any hiker I see on my trails about what their experiences, tips and contents are for the event. I joined REI two weeks ago for the classes and trips. After really understanding long section hiking.....I do not feel I could do it. I resolved I am a day hiker I love heading out and seeing how far I can go. My day pack is light and has now items I know I will use. It is not because I do not have the endurance to hike all day for days on end. It is the bathroom issue The thought of no outhouse even did me in.

My absolute favorite thing to read on-line is AP trail journals of current hikers. I've done bits of it and would like to go back and do more: http://www.trailjournals.com/journal...ian_trail/2017

There are a ton of videos on youtube now from trail hikers. Good ones are "what I carry" "what I gave up carrying" "tent or hammock" "what I eat on the trail", "personal hygene on the trail", etc.

I also want to start hiking parts of the Ozark Highland Trail since that's closer to me than the AT. http://www.trailjournals.com/journal...ighlands_Trail and I'd also like to float the Buffalo from near start to finish.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Oh I love reading those bogs also. I was following a fellow Hiking with Gravity hikewithgravity.com who started a thru hike last spring after ruffly 21 days postings stopped. He posted he finished in October and will update the days as he can. He had great plans of posting pictures and stories, then it turned into a job more or less. So now I stop by every so often to read. So I will check out those links, thanks.

I have met so many friendly hikers who want to tell me stories. Last week a fellow told me so many bear stories! Another fellow told me he has done the AT 3 times and never with tent, stays in the shelters. I asked what if you do not make it to shelter? I don't know he says always made it.

This morning I did a 5 mile on the local trail, 7 dear, one dog and owner that was it in the 18 degree morning.

I did not do much hiking this year BikingLady. I'm starting to think that may be one of my challenges for my new year. I'll do some more research and add a few hikes to my retreat list (in February...that's my new year).

That's funny he always made it to a shelter. I've read too many rat, spider, snakes, and raccoon stories to think that the AT shelters are 100% joy!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Question about iPhones, mine is freezing due to temps. I have used an iPhone for years biking all winter and never remember this issue honestly. SO I ordered a Salt case which was suppose insulate the phone. Yesterday 18 degrees it killed battery and it was in coat pocket. I am now thinking inside my bra like when I do work outside.

What is the answer/

My husband was a Scouts Canada leader for about 12 yrs., and for the last few years he worked with the kids in Venturers which were ages 14 to 17. They hiked and camped a lot. He had a water purifier in his backpack, as well as many of the other things mentioned here. Small, portable, it created safe drinking water in a short time. It didnt cost a lot either.

He always had a first aid kit, well stocked for most emergencies.

Always tell someone where you are going in case something big goes wrong!

Hand warmers are great. A little tip is that at night you can have a stone near the campfire to warm up and then put it into your sleeping bag (as long as it's not too hot) to act as a heat source to keep you warm. I found a good website that has a good camping checklist and tips like how to make a campfire. If you're new to camping, check it out.

Thanks and welcome, Bob. I like looking at the various camping links, etc. Thanks for posting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheCamper View Post
    Hand warmers are great. A little tip is that at night you can have a stone near the campfire to warm up and then put it into your sleeping bag (as long as it's not too hot) to act as a heat source to keep you warm. I found a good website that has a good camping checklist. If you're new to camping, check it out.
    I think it is more effective to have a initially warm sleeping bag, in which a tourist will feel comfortable. Laying a stone, I think it was relevant 20-30 years ago.

Thread Information