Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contents of hiking backpack.

Contents of hiking backpack.

A while back, someone posted pictures of their little hiking backpack and the items they carried/stored in it. I meant to go back to it, as I loved the details of the contents, but I can't find it and don't remember who originally posted it. Ring a bell for anyone? I know that one of the items was an emergency blanket in an orange package... I actually bought one. With the nicer weather finally here, I was hoping to put one together and start hiking again.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Were you looking for day hikes, or extended backpacking trips?

For day hikes I bring very little, but from now on am going to always include one of those super loud whistles. I stepped on a rattlesnake a couple of days ago - I think I actually flew for a few seconds there. Luckily I was fine, but next time? (I often see rattlesnakes but this one was on a muddy section of trail in dappled light. They tend to prefer to lie in the sun.)

The most important thing to bring is the right attitude, I think. Keep your circle of awareness large, your circle of disturbance small.
    That, and water.
    Last edited by Gardenarian; 4-13-14 at 3:31pm.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

A classic reference used around Seattle is the "Ten Essentials" list produced by The Mountaineers. It is a good start.
    http://www.mountaineers.org/images/T...ntials_web.pdf

I've heavily modified mine, which is what happens after a few years of understanding personal needs and style.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

In addition to the contents suggested I would recommend that if one has a smartphone you should download the map data of the area into the google maps app. Do this by getting the area on the screen while you have an internet connection and then type "ok maps" (without the quotes) into the search bar. Even if you don't have cell service the gps function of the phone should still work. Also, put the phone in airplane mode when you have no cell service and the battery will last a lot longer because the phone won't be forever trying to find reception.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    In addition to the contents suggested I would recommend that if one has a smartphone you should download the map data of the area into the google maps app. Do this by getting the area on the screen while you have an internet connection and then type "ok maps" (without the quotes) into the search bar. Even if you don't have cell service the gps function of the phone should still work. Also, put the phone in airplane mode when you have no cell service and the battery will last a lot longer because the phone won't be forever trying to find reception.
    Speaking as someone who last hiked about thirty years ago...I would recommend one of those auxiliary chargers for your cell, just in case.

That's it, Alan! Thank you! And thanks to everyone else for responding and for the additional info and links. Need to get one of these made up.

And thanks, bae,for the original thread!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Great stuff and I'm going to supplement what I have already with a number of bae's recommendations. (Not sure about the axe though.)

Happy Stuff - Are you wanting to have an "emergency" backpack - something like a bugout bag you can grab in an emergency when you have to leave your home asap? Or are you looking for what to bring in a recreational backpack - something you'd take with you for a day hike? Or are you looking for what to bring for a long backpacking trip? They each would require different things.

Hi Spartana! Yes, I was actually looking for the backpack for day hikes. We already have grab 'n' go backpacks made and ready to go. And at this point in time, I'm not doing backpacking trips - although I'm not ready to get rid of my backpack w/frame!

Thread Information