Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Contents of hiking backpack.

Actually went on a really good hike this past weekend - first one in a long time. Grabbed my hiking backpack and everything went fine, but I realized I need to revisit this thread and go through my backpack for updates/changes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I did that with my travel toiletry case which needed updating. It seems such things need reviewing and updating periodically.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am doing the 100 mile challenge on the NCT 2022, day hiking. I have been thinking of the items I will change in my backpack, all the tips help.

Should add each season updating is needed and best to remember so not caught of guard. I bike and forgot to update the gear needed just in case, I got wet, got a bit too cold and over heated all in the last two weeks. I get upset with myself each time. Yesterday was my ankles, why did I think I did not need taller socks

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Should add each season updating is needed and best to remember so not caught of guard. I bike and forgot to update the gear needed just in case, I got wet, got a bit too cold and over heated all in the last two weeks. I get upset with myself each time. Yesterday was my ankles, why did I think I did not need taller socks
    Thus is a good reminder. These days I tend to forget about weather possibilities since I live in the land of,weather that rarely surprises. But I'll never forget one day when I was in high school in Denver 35 years ago. I had ridden my bike to a friend's house after lunch one weekend. It was cool but not bad out. By the time I rode home later that afternoon the temperature had dropped significantly and I had not gotten more than a block when I was heading home before I realized I was in for a really unpleasant ride. It was only going a couple of miles but dang, by the time I got home I was half frozen. If I had just brought a hat and some gloves it would have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Not knowing what you already have and are just updating, it's hard to say what you don't have. But, I have wrapped a few feet of duct tape around a treking pole and that has multiple uses including protecting or preventing blisters and patching many equipment failures. A neat trick that has come in handy for me. And a Swiss Army knife

If I were hiking--especially alone--I'd want a satellite phone. People seem to go missing around here*.

*Not in my neighborhood, that I know of , but in the surrounding wilderness areas.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If I were hiking--especially alone--I'd want a satellite phone. People seem to go missing around here*.

*Not in my neighborhood, that I know of , but in the surrounding wilderness areas.
    There are personal locator beacons that outdoor people often use in place of sat phones. They aren't cheap, but neither are sat phones. They are fairly compact and lightweight, but slightly different function. When I hike alone out of cell range in remote places I carry one.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=personal+locator+beacons

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Not knowing what you already have and are just updating, it's hard to say what you don't have. But, I have wrapped a few feet of duct tape around a treking pole and that has multiple uses including protecting or preventing blisters and patching many equipment failures. A neat trick that has come in handy for me. And a Swiss Army knife
    Yesterday I hiked a small section of the trail just to get my mind set on what I will run into within a 1/4 mile was a log over creek to scale. I had my black diamond poles and realized these were not the appropriate gear for the job. The few miles in the isolated area helped put me more in focus of what I will need for sure! Also paper maps I feel are best along with gps. Duct tape yes, that is a good tip. My planning needs to be different than the day hikes in groomed areas.

I'm all in for paper maps but am from the old school. I carry a small stuff sack with first aid and emergency gear. Some is probably obvious, but a space blanket has many uses in a fix. I've never used mine, but always have it along. Lightweight and compact.

Thread Information