Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Contents of hiking backpack.

I would substitute a bow saw for the hatchet & of course have a plastic blade cover on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I would substitute a bow saw for the hatchet & of course have a plastic blade cover on it.
    Ya - that's very eco-system-dependent. I have a large folding Silky saw I usually tuck down one of those side pouches of the pack when I'm going into places with a bit bigger wood. I think you really end up needing both in boreal forests.

I just got back from a 10-day-long wilderness medicine and tracking course held in a remote spot, and that setup served me as my whole kit, though I swapped in a slightly different axe that has a longer haft but a lighter head, as the place I was in we weren't allowed to take any live trees.

A good bow saw is a blessing - there are some great take-down ones available.

Here's a setup I often carry that combines the larger saw, an decent axe and knife, and some basic survival stuff:

I love these comments. We are going to go camping in June and I think some of these will also be useful for the camping trip. Although, not the daggers and knives because it will be a family trip with little kids. Its going to be in a safe and controlled environment. I wonder if anyone has a camping preparedness kit or even just a list?

REI has a good family camping checklist.

Camping is something that we always do every summer vacation, it was my father who brought us camping since he's a soldier he wants us to learn how to survive in the wild (and I don't know why) lol

here is one thing i don't see on lists but i really like it, those hand warmers (like an ice pack you pop but a warmer). i have one kid who kept on getting ear issues above 8,000 ft so it would be night and her ear was super painful. Some pain reliever, a hand warmer and a stocking cap got us through. it also works on any sore muscles. i have circulation issues so i kept them with me in the winter and was lucky to have one for camping.

Yes, Zoe girl. I love those hand warmers. I get one at the dollar store and I keep a couple in our first aid kit. You are right, I will keep one in our pack for camping too. Its been awhile since I last went camping and this is different because we have the kids with us. It's not 'til June, but I am so ready. haha! I checked the tent, the chairs and the air beds. I tested the lamp and bought extra batteries. Unfortunately, I cannot find rechargeable ones.

Thanks, Gardenarian. That is very useful. I don't have flashlights yet, but I doubt I will need it. It will be useful if there is an app for outdoor activities or even a software that can be downloaded on the phone, perhaps, something similar to healthfusion. That way, when I am out shopping and I happen to come by something I might need, I can check it off the app instead of a list on a sheet of paper.

I am learning a lot here, thank you guys for giving me ideas and tips to make our camping a lot easier and enjoyable

Love that this thread is continuing! Thanks for all the pictures of gear, etc. Very inspiring, as I'm hoping to attack my camping gear soon. Thanks so much to everyone.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Camping time again! I came across this forum - coincidentally, we are not getting ready for this summer's camping trip. Here are some of my new notes on the kit

1. I found a really good rechargeable lamp at ALDI's - so, if you have an ALDI in your area, check it out. I will try to add a photo here in the next few days
    2. Bring a potty seat if you still have one from when your kids were young. Last year when we went camping, our camp was located a bit far from the bathroom. So, a middle of the night visit to the bathroom would be a bit scary and inconvenient. The workaround I came up with is to bring a potty seat. If it is just a wee ... then I can wash it off with water. If it is something else, then I can put it in a bag (bags you use to collect dog poop - those nice smelling ones) and then dump it in the garbage in the morning
    3. If you have little ones, do not bring a gallon of milk. Go for the small ones. You can open a bottle when you need it and keep the rest in the cooler. This way, the rest of your supplies will last longer and not spoil faster. This is especially important if you are camping for 2 - 3 days.

Hope these will be useful!

Thread Information