Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social Security "overpayments" clawed back decades later: attn ROB!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If I were one of the people in this article I'd call the tv news (there's a segment on one of the stations here called '7 on your side' and get them to come with me to the local social security office for an explanation. This is the kind of story they eat up. Enough publicity and nonsense like this will stop.
    Perhaps, but only because we are nearing an election year. Doing it on the sly is ThePrez' MO. Once he's found out, his party won't continue if the political fallout is too awful.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If I were one of the people in this article I'd call the tv news (there's a segment on one of the stations here called '7 on your side' and get them to come with me to the local social security office for an explanation. This is the kind of story they eat up. Enough publicity and nonsense like this will stop.

Actually i I would try to figure out who wrote and sponsored the legislation. Then I would call and write every congressman and senator in the opposing party and tell my story as well as the news. This would be outstanding publicity in the next election. And regardless of which party, in the long run the little people could win if this legislation was reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Actually i I would try to figure out who wrote and sponsored the legislation. Then I would call and write every congressman and senator in the opposing party and tell my story as well as the news. This would be outstanding publicity in the next election. And regardless of which party, in the long run the little people could win if this legislation was reversed.
    Yeah, ya know. Something tells me it's a republican who sponsored this. Sounds like something they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Yeah, ya know. Something tells me it's a republican who sponsored this. Sounds like something they would do.
    It's one line in a Farm Bill from 2011. The one line apparently repeals the 10 year statute of limitations on collecting overpayments. Who knows who did it, but to me, the real concern is the Treasury Department deciding to go after the children or other next of kin to collect the money.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Yeah, ya know. Something tells me someone in The Big Chair at 1600 Penn Ave finalized it by signing it. Sounds like something he would do.

Looks like they halted the program once the news article was circulated

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/social...-politics.html

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yeah, ya know. Something tells me someone in The Big Chair at 1600 Penn Ave finalized it by signing it. Sounds like something he would do.
    Maybe you don't know what's in it until you pass it. No wait, wrong bill.

That's probably most bills.
    Trees don't grow on money

Haha!

Oops, got caught they did. Nasty slimeballs.

Thread Information