Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there cat people and dog people?

Are there cat people and dog people?

I was thinking about this in terms of my thread about grooming my dog. I keep calling myself a cat person, but clearly I have both. I am not wildly enthusiastic about either - to the point of fawning over my pets - but I feel more comfortable around cats. The cats feel like good company, while the dogs often seem like a whirling vortex of neediness that simply makes me cranky.

Some things about dogs that frustrate me feel like they're related to contradictory aspects of dog ownership.

One of my top pet peeves are people who walk their dogs on hiking trails off-leash. The wilderness is the wilderness. It is no place for domestic animals on the loose, and I always feel like I'm going to snap at the next person who walks by me with their dog running up to and sniffing me, and they're saying "It's OK, he's friendly!" They always seem to be bouncing along as if it's normal and OK to let their dogs have the run of the woods. (I admit I'm equally irritated and being passed by trail runners and mountain bikers. When I go for a hike it is for solitude and quiet enjoyment. Part of that quiet enjoyment in the now crowded backcountry is predicated on everyone being somewhat spaced out and moving at the same speed). The contradiction to that, however, is that I remember running around the woods near my house with my dogs when I was a boy. Granted, they were regularly taken out by rattlesnakes, but it was fun, and there was a bond in wandering around together. There are dog parks in our city, but our current two dogs were adopted during our eight years of being carfree, and one of them is dog aggressive, so they've never had the opportunity to run. That seems sad to me.

That said, I hate to walk with a dog on a leash. Our current two, because we had toddlers at the time they were adopted and so had no time for dog training, were never trained to heel properly. I bought a clicker and some treats at one point, and I was going to try to spend some time training them, but my son got the clicker and the treats every chance he got and clicked away any usefulness to it. While it may seem like a teaching opportunity to have a dog to train and a four-year-old son, the two do not really mix. We did take our older, pre-children dogs to obedience class, and they were not so bad on a leash, but I still did not enjoy walking with them. There was something nice about having a dog when I was young, that left the house in the morning, played in the woods across the street from our house all day - sometimes with me, sometimes without - and then came home at night to rest and be petted. With today's sensibilities about on-leash, in-yard lives, I just feel like the dogs don't get a chance to be dogs. I feel very sad for them, even when I am walking them regularly. Being walked on the leash is not the same as romping through a swamp, but I am absolutely opposed to dogs off-leash on hiking trails.

It seems like a silly thing for a pet owner, but I do not like that they use the bathroom in the back yard. We clean up after them, but it's still our backyard, and it just seems nasty. I used to like eating on the back porch, but now I don't even like to go out there. I'd much rather clean a litter box twice a day than scoop a yard. I also spent a fair amount of money and time getting a native grass, galleta, started in the back yard. It's supposed to be a particularly tough, drought resistant grass that is reputedly good for dog kennels and driveways. The dogs, however, managed to trample it. Our backyard is now hard-packed, bare dirt. I dream of buffalo grass, wildflowers, and an herb garden, but between the chickens and the dogs, nothing can grow back there.

I do enjoy our dog Rosie. She howls back at me when I talk to her, and she likes to wiggle around on her back and make happy sounds. Sometimes I think some breeds of dogs may be better for me than others, but I've never found which ones. Rosie is some kind of Terrier mix; my wife thinks she has some pit bull in her because of her brindle splotches, but she has a small head. My favorite dog was a Doberman that a friend found wandering the side of the highway and gave to me. I read "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skete, and following their advice, I took Lucy everywhere with me. She would settle herself into the middle of the backpacking store I managed back then, and I like to think she cut down on shoplifting. She was lots of fun, but one day, when we were checking a friend's mail while he was away, she simply disappeared in the woods. I adopted a Corgi after that, because my sister, who raises, shows, and judges dogs, always insisted that a Corgi was the dog for me. The Corgi was absolutely horrible. It would not behave itself at work, so I had to leave it at home. At home, it dug holes in the lawn of my rental all day. I realized that I could not be that particular dog's best friend, so I placed an ad in the paper and gave it away to a family. That was the last dog I really whole-heartedly supported owning, and the last I owned as a single person. After that, I started feeling that I just wasn't a dog person. My wife likes Labrador Retrievers. There's something about them that I just don't like. They're too something - I don't know what. When I was little, we had a German Shepherd. I didn't like that dog. All it wanted to do was fetch. My favorite dog from my childhood was my brother's dog that was half-doberman and half-german shepherd. Maybe Dobermans are good dogs for me, but I don't want to look like I own a guard dog type dog. (When I visit the shelter, I find the pit bulls to be the sweetest dogs there, but I don't want one of those for the same reason. I don't want people to be threatened, and I don't want to be judged by my dog. I don't want a reputedly tough dog, but for some reason, they seem the sweetest to me, and they're not too whatever it is like Labs. We've also had a herding dog, and I did not particularly like her. I don't like dogs that are obsequious.

I feel more like a cat person because I like the way the cat will sit near me, and maybe rub against my hand if it wants to be petted, but it doesn't sit there and stare at me the way a dog does. The dogs make me nervous. I like a cat's purring. I like that cats will use the litterbox. I like the self-possession of cats. I myself am not a pack animal, and around the dogs, I feel like they need me to be something I'm not. Cats feel like they're on the same wavelength as I am.

[ETA: Rereading this, I think that it's not so much that dogs need me to be something I'm not but that I don't feel like a suburban life can give a dog what it needs to be a dog. Given the lack of farmland, and working opportunities, dogs just seem to atrophy to me, and it makes me terribly sad for them. They seem like animals that really need to go out and get things done, but there's really nothing for them to do in the suburbs that has any dog-meaning. My wife does not share my dog-empathy and dog-guilt and feels like we give them a fine life, so it's really hard to communicate about the dogs.]

I guess I don't have as much to say about cats. Maybe that's because I constantly agonize over dogs. The cats and I just keep each other company.

I didn't mean to make that so long. Clearly, my life has involved both cats and dogs, but I lean toward cats. Do you believe there is such a thing as a cat person or a dog person?

Yes. And I definitely don't think you're a dog person. You sound like a cat person. From what you've written, it sound like you feel more compatible with cats. I'm a dog person. I LOVE dogs. Anytime I see a dog I want to stop and pet it. I've had all different breeds and they are my favorite beings on the planet.

Cats always come up to me and purr, and I enjoy them, too. Cat owners describe me as a cat person. I feel a connection with them, too. But, I've always owned dogs. I've pet sit a lot of cats. (My neighbor is an animal trainer in the movies and I used to take care of her 12 cats when she was on the road.) To me, they're more intellectual...and sometimes moody.

I really changed my life around to have dogs. I think it's the unconditional love they give that I find so rewarding. I also like dog people. (Probably because they're nice to my dogs.)

I was shocked that you don't like labs! I had a black lab/golden retriever mix who was such a loving pet. A little clumsy, (and he wasn't the brightest,) but he had a heart of gold.

We've had both cats and dogs through the years, and loved them both. We felt our sons needed a dog, so we got a dog. Boys gotta have a dog, dontcha know ... and we lived a pretty-much rural lifestyle, so dogs and cats were easy. We've had lots of cats and I've even forgotten some of their names now. And right now we have three cats, which would be perfect except they really don't like each other. DH thinks every so often that we should have a smallish dog, but he doesn't want to HAVE TO walk it, and since we live "in the city" he'd have to do that. I can't imagine a life without cats, tho, so I guess at heart I'm a cat person. DH says that if he dies before I do I'll be that old lady with 100 cats, but truly, I wouldn't. I love them dearly, but one or two or three would be just fine.

I am a cat person. I am a dog person, as well. Ah. I am a snake person. I am an any kind of smallish critter person as long as I have the heart and resources to serve me and my critters.

What I am not is a pet store person, although one of my best friends owns and runs a pet store, quite a nice one, where he showcases shelter cats and other small critters. That is how we met, during my shelter decades. Almost all of the small animals he sells are ones that he has rescued and rehabilitated and/or brought back to health. The only exception is the shelter cats.

My last cat died on Labor Day, last year. Even when I was homeless, he was with me. We lived in my car for a long time, during the warmer months, and he had food and vet care even when I did not have enough for both of us.

Someone, in the previous thread, said that appropriate pet care was a hot button for her. For me it is a heart button. When I was living with few resources and in hiding from my ex, moving from place to place, mostly staying in police department parking lots, Charley was the most important part of my life. I think that the reason I am here today, that I was somehow able to keep going and hold hope that things would get better, because he had been my companion for 13 years and if I could not do for myself or care for what happened to me, I could care about Charley. Maybe that makes me a trust person.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Yes, I do think there are people who prefer dogs and people who prefer cats. Me, I'm a dog person. However, no matter where I go, the cats come to say hello. I was at my cousin's house yesterday and her husband was flabbergasted that all 4 of their cats were out seeking attention from me. I enjoy saying hello and admiring and petting cats, and I really like the playfulness of kittens. But I've always said, "the problem with kittens is that they quickly grow up to be cats!"

But I do understand what you're saying about dogs getting to be dogs. My little cocker spaniel is a great pet and a great house dog, but she loves to run. We tried the dog park, but the big dogs run and jump _over_ her, and that really freaks her out, so that doesn't work for us. We do alot of city walking on leash, and visit the regional park weekly- where I can sometimes let her off-leash, if it's early and no one is around. I also let her roll in the mud- ack! horrors! long-haired dog!- but she loves it, and that's what dogs do. But the best is when we come home, as we approach the corner of our building (and hopefully no one is around), I let go of the leash, say "go home!" and she runs like the wind around the corner and up the stairs!

[I did have a neighbor who said, "that dog is so afraid to be outside that she runs back into the house" -- clearly someone who does not understand dogs! Especially my girl: big grin, ears flying, tail going a million miles a minute. She just loves to run full out.]

Interestingly, my daughter had always wanted Siamese cats. A friend of mine hand-raised 2 very bonded brothers last year, and gave them to my daughter. Right about the same time, my grandson adopted a Corgi-mix puppy. Turns out that he likes the cats better, and she likes the dog the best! So I think people don't really know until they experience both.

I love both cats and dogs but we currently live in a highrise apartment building, and I firmly believe dogs need to be able to run around outside, and I don't want to end up with yet another responsibility I will resent (having to walk the dog), so I have put my foot down pretty firm about not getting a dog. We have a cat that everyone agreed we wanted/should get, but my DH complains constantly about the hair (and the cat doesn't shed THAT badly as she is a shorthair breed).

We had an amazing dog when I was a kid -- a german shepherd/collie mix. Loved that dog to death. But he had hip problems, and I don't know if I'd want to go through that again.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I grew up with a wonderful smart, protective Doberman with whom I shared dog biscuits (pre-chewed) and walks on the beach. He was a Very Good Dog. But he was the last one I loved. Since my family--all of them--are dog people, we had a succession of dogs, none of which I bonded with. Though I respect dogs, I have a lifelong love of cats--specifically cats with shortish, plush fur and round faces and some Siamese in their background. My sister--always a dog person--recently rescued a Bengal mix and fell in love with him ("He's just like a dog! He wags his tail!"). A friend was never a fan of cats until she began feeding a disheveled feral cat in her neighborhood. She's had several since then--she calls the current pampered ginger "the prince." I rescued a bobtail tuxedo cat who saw my partner, ran up to him, threw his paws around his neck, and subsequently went off to live with him. Most everyone I know has had cats and dogs (except me) and loved both of them. To be honest, I'd be loath to associate with someone who didn't.

I love all animals but am decidely a cat person. I appreciate their non-needy natures, tidiness and more subtle personalities. My last remaining dog is a 13 yr old Dachsund who literally drives me nuts. Perhaps it is the breed, but she is ridiculously demanding and stubborn. As for the yard, she manages to leave her deposits in every sector therein like little surprises that end up on my shoe. Or she waits until we take a walk and then does it only when I forgot to bring a bag. The cats on the rare occasions they go outside do their business in the exact same locale and then hide it. The Dachsund then finds it and eats it - with relish.

I'm more of a dog person than a cat person. (My heart of hearts is still with horses but I haven't owned any in 25 years). We always had a cat or two around the farm to help with mice in the barn and we currently have a cat but she was feral and not very much in need of anything from us other than food. I think when our current dog passes that will be it for me for a long while on dogs. One thing I've always struggled with is finding cat/dog/chicken/guinea pig sitters when we've traveled. I think as the pets die I'll just turn that monthly budget amount over to the travel fund.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I am both but unfortunately have become very allergic to cats. One of the things that I love about dogs is that they are more needy then cats. We have 3 little ones so with our yard they get plenty of exercise. I have had big dogs and then took them to the dog park regularly. It sounds like you are just not a dog person and that is fine. HOwever, I did not have pets most of the time I was raising my kids so that maybe one difference. Now with the kids grown the dogs are my babies and I don't resent spending time or $ on them.

Thread Information