Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window-box trailing flowers - ideas?

Question Window-box trailing flowers - ideas?

It is getting so close to planting season, and yes I have been procrastinating on getting seeds. This year I am planning on a couple more window boxes hanging on my balcony. I would like to grow some reliable bushy flowers that will trail down and bloom all season long. I have heard that nasturtiums are good for this (and you can eat them too!)

Does anyone have suggestions for their favourite trailing/climbing flowers in containers?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    There are varieties of rosemary that trail well - I'd vote for rosemary as it is so easy to grow and tastes so good when used as an herb. Rob

nasturtiums are good in nutrient-poor soil (which a window box will be after a while) and they are drought-tolerant. same for portulaca.
    ivy geraniums are very pretty in window boxes, but may not be as drought-tolerant.
    sweet peas - definitely not as drought-tolerant.
    strawberries and indeterminate tomatoes are also good.

For year long color, I like sweetpotato vines pared with wave petunias....

How 'bout for shade? Our window boxes are on the north side of the house and rarely get sun.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Perennial Vinca is a trailing fool but it's a green plant only. I wonder if it would be perennial in your climate, in a window box?

The colored sweet potatoe vines are so nice, too. Bu they are annuals, and they have insignificant flowers. I cant see how nasturtiums have a trailing or hanging habit.

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    How 'bout for shade? Our window boxes are on the north side of the house and rarely get sun.
    There are some varieties of trailing, vining impatiens, which are very colorful flowers that do best in shade. They are very pretty in window boxes. I used to have them on the shady side at my old house.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Perennial Vinca is a trailing fool but it's a green plant only. I wonder if it would be perennial in your climate, in a window box?

The colored sweet potatoe vines are so nice, too. Bu they are annuals, and they have insignificant flowers. I cant see how nasturtiums have a trailing or hanging habit.
    I love Vinca. It is one one of the few flowers that can bear up under the heat here in Phoenix - It can handles days and days and days in a row of 109F plus, provided that you keep it watered, and it looks like something from the East - not desert like. One of my favorite summer plants, but very thirsty here. Rob

For shade, impatiens or begonias will flower well... you could add some ornamental green vining plants for contrast. variegated vinca (periwinkle) is nice, does great in shade, and will overwinter in our climate.

Thread Information