Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doorbells and Random Visitors

Yes, I always answer the door. The only solicitors we get are kids selling candy or Girl Scout cookies. Maybe once every few years someone with a political/environmental petition, which doesn't bother me. Our neighbors often walk in without knocking or ringing, which I find a bit forward. I'm glad they feel at home, but - well, I never walk into anyone's home without knocking.

Well the thing is some people I know actually just show up without warning and ring the doorbell so ... (the landlord also rings it if I have forgotten to pay rent). So I gave $10 to some poor high schooler soliciting so called "money to pay for college" a couple weeks ok (yes it might be a scam although I doubt the high schooler is in on it ... I was feeling generous I guess). If I know it's the Witnesses I try to hide and pretend I'm not home ...
    Trees don't grow on money

We rarely answer. It was hard at first but 99% of the time it is someone who wants money for any of the reasons you have all listed. Only one time was it someone we knew (my sister-in-law) just dropping in and then she asked if we weren't home, and we told her we never answer the door so now she always calls. Like someone else said, everyone who's family or friends knows to come to the back door. It's still locked, but at least then we'll know it's someone we know.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

There are more of us doorbell ignorers out there than I thought.

Living in an apartment building gives us the benefit of people having to ring the buzzer from outside. There's a camera there so we can see who it is and decide to answer if it's the UPS man or an invited guest or whatever, and ignore it otherwise, not that anyone else tends to ring it unless we've invited them over. When I lived in midtown manhattan I would have a couple of friends stop by unexpected every once in a while. They worked in the area and one in particular liked to go to a bar down the street for happy hour, so he would ring the bell and ask if I wanted to join him. He was a really good friend so I didn't mind that. Now we don't have any friends that live or work in our neighborhood so anyone wanting to stop by calls or texts first.

I usually answer - but given the time of day they usually do that, I tell them I'm sorry, I'm working (I am) and close the door. So at least it's really short.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Our big dog, who never makes a sound, howls when the doorbell rings. She has a very deep, menacing howl and she follows through by seemingly attacking the sidelight, all the while wagging her tail frantically to show how happy she is to see whoever's there.

While this is going on and the visitor is busy trying to determine if Moose may actually come through the sidelight, I exit through the garage and come up from the visitors rear, usually scaring them further.

We don't have many repeat visitors.
    When I was married, we had Newfs. Actually someone could have just walked in they'd just get drooled on, but they went off whenever the doorbell rang and would crowd the door. The less I wanted to speak to the person there, the wider I'd open the door (the dogs just wanted to say "hi"). Most people did not know Newfs and just wanted to get away from the very big, very scary :-) dogs as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    My response, ‘fine thank you’. JW, ‘we are in the neighborhood sharing the Bible and would it be okay if we share a verse with you and ask how you feel about it?’. My response, ‘I’m am busy at the moment but would be glad to talk with you if you will give me your name and address I will stop by your home sometime’. I really mean it but thus far, no takers.
    I don't mind spending 30 seconds with people, no matter whom. I've had some nice surprises by being open to what people have to say. It's my choice to answer my door when they knock, and most of the time, I do.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'll always answer the door. Maybe not if it seemed real suspicious but you never know when it's the police (I've had that), firefighters about a danger (my neighbours almost had that when I had a fire) or someone in trouble. Even when I lived in a rougher area. Sometimes there are home invasions but you can't worry about everything. I'd just hate for someone to actually need help and have no one answer the door. Can you imagine being the panicked person and no one would answer their door? I don't want to live in that society. We're isolated enough as it is. And like Catherine, I can spare a few seconds for anyone.

I don't know if I live in weird area or what. (for what it's worth, we live 1/2 mile outside of a very small town in nowheresville midwest usa.) But nobody comes to our front door, nobody rings our doorbell. Truly. I'd say about once every.....3 months? 4 months?

So I answer the door every time, it's so rare. Our friends all go around the house to the back door. Don't know why or how it got started, since the front door and sidewalk are the easier path, but everyone around here are "backdoor friends". Jehovah's Witnesses once a year, and since I'm never sure that's who it is I always answer (and spend a minute politely letting them know I'm not interested). And once in a while there's that ONE old friend who uses the front door as it was intended to be used.

Overall, it's a non-issue around here. It's interesting to me, that others have totally different lifestyles and experiences with this.

Thread Information