Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing/travel advice? - 2 week England trip

Question Packing/travel advice? - 2 week England trip

I'm planning a trip to England with my dd. We're going to London, Oxford, Bath, Stonehenge...

We're going in June and from what I can find out the average temp is around 65-70 degrees. What would you pack for a two week trip? I don't want to be weighed down by luggage. What do you think would be the best kind of bag? I have a small rolling bag (carry-on size) or would a duffle bag be easier to manage/hold more? I would love to not have to check my luggage.

I tend to dress very casually, but I won't be wearing my usual sweats/shorts/leggings.
    I'm hoping to do laundry at least once. We'll be staying in inexpensive hotels.

My cell phone will only work on wi-fi in England, but I will be bringing it (and a plug adapter.) DD will bring her phone too.

My thoughts were:
    (For my carry-on)
    5 undies
    5 pair socks
    2 pants (my work pants - comfortable but nice looking - one brown linen, one black cotton knit)
    Jacket (nice hoodie)
    Small umbrella? (or buy if needed?)
    1 bra
    1 tank top (black)
    1 fancy shirt
    1 button down white blouse
    2 short sleeved shirts
    1 lightweight cardigan
    1 pair of shoes (I can only wear my black Keen Presidio's right now anyway)
    1 scarf (large)
    1 sleep shirt
    Toothbrush/paste/floss
    Hat?
    Spare reading glasses
    (Of course I'll be wearing some of this on the plane - t-shirt, hoodie, shoes, scarf, etc. so not everything on the list has to fit in the bag.)

(For my small backpack)
    Paperback book
    Tiny journal/2 pens
    Phone/charger/plug adapter
    Large handkerchief
    Ear plugs
    Meds
    Face cream and sunblock (put in small containers)
    Reading glasses
    Wallet/passport
    Foldable shopping bag (nylon, folds tiny)
    Water bottle (I carry a steel one but may get a plastic one for this trip.)

I'm planning on using a credit card whenever possible, but should I get some money changed before I go? How much?

All advice is greatly appreciated! I haven't traveled overseas in quite a while and I'm sure I'm forgetting things. (I keep telling myself, yes, they have stores in England.)
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

They do indeed have stores and I'd leave the umbrella-having to them.

I wonder about the linen pants? In my experience linen wrinkles if there is a person near it, and thus isn't a great candidate for packing. I wonder about shirts for the same reason. Knits are very non-wrinkly and usually what I pack.

The main thing I focus on when I am packing is colour -- everything needs to go with everything else, or at the very least there cannot be anything that Must Be Worn Only With One Other Garment.

Have a wonderful trip! It sounds terrific.

One of the comments about clothes is make sure everything fits, is clean, and can be worn at least 3 times. Take two bras unless you are not counting the one you are wearing on the plane so one can be washed while you wear the other one. One pair of shoes on and another one in case of water issues.

Otherwise, you have packed about what we are taking next week when we go to France.

I dont worry about checking bags. Especially now that hubby has a walker due to knee issues. I love the bags (of all sizes) that have four wheels. They take the weight off your shoulders and you can stack a small tote or other second bag on top while waiting or moving. Very light ones on the market.

best book every for packing: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Packing-...=smart+packing

Watch the newer requirements for in cabin carry ons. Some airlines are getting very tight about them due to issues and delays in loading and unloading passengers.

Best books I have found for travel on your own are Rick Steves guides. We got one for France and Paris. Very helpful and full of ideas for things to do like walks and bus tours using public transportation. The second in line is Lonely Planet guides but they seem more for the young adventurous types with experience.

A second recommendation for Rick Steves' guides. We've gotten very good value out of them, as mentioned the walking tours are a great thing. Also he has loads of information on his website. Google Rick Steves and enjoy!

A second pair of shoes is a must. Maybe flat sandals?

How about workout clothes or a swimsuit? Although I guess you could be doing lots of walking.

Besides the hoodie, did you have a windbreaker type jacket? Semi - water resistant.

Socks? At least a pair for the flight / to sleep in would be something I would need

Oh Wait! I forgot something you should take to London with you.

ME!

You'll have a great time.

"If it doesn't fit in carry-on then I don't need it" - dhiana

That's how I travel. One rolling carryon and a very small backpack/purse.
    My must pack list is Passport, CC and lots of clean underwear. Seriously, most places I've traveled there is shampoo, socks, umbrellas, etc available just in case I forget something so I don't worry too much about forgetting something.

Laundry Soap? A small bit of prepackaged purchased from hometown coin laundry/$1.00 store maybe the way to go. Coin Laundry places have been spotty for having soap available and grocery stores usually just carry the big containers. Although I have simply used other kinds of soap such as shampoo or castille soap instead.

Water Bottle - I have seen these refillable water bottles taken by security. Even when they are completely empty. I've gone through security and then purchased a bottle of water only to have it taken away at a minor secondary security check right before boarding a plane. I've also gone through security check points with a brand new, unopened, full bottle of water with no problems after it was checked on some machine. Whatever way you choose to bring your water bottle in, expect it to be taken. Feel lucky if you get to keep it.

Airports have ATMs now so as soon as I get through customs/immigration stuff I seek out an ATM and just get my funds that way.

Have a great time on your trip!

The last time I went to the UK I found at Goodwill a pair of black silk pants to take with me. The silk was a thin fabric and matte. Great for washing at night in the hotel and dry the next day. And yeah they were a little wrinkly. So what.

Ah, I remember whne my parents took us to the UK. I was 16. They let me run around on my own. I look back at that and am awestruck by the freedom that they gave me. But I was very serious about seeing certain things in London and in whatever cities we stopped in so it's not as though I was out looking for trouble. I had a watch, I knew that I had to be back at X time.

That sounds like so much fun!

I think your list looks good, but I agree that linen is maybe not the best idea. I would go with something wrinkle-resistant for sure. And I also second keeping to ONE color scheme.

You said you're bringing a jacket--the best would be a lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood. Then you can skip the umbrella (or you can bring one of thos little ones).

I also like the idea of the small foldable bag. I bought one of those in Paris and it's come in very handy.

Don't forget an AC adaptor.

How about a travel book like Lonely Planet?

And don't bother getting money changed here. Go to the ATM at the airport after you get off the plane.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Timely discussion as we'll be packing soon too for a longer trip.
    I've never had an empty water bottle taken by security. We have traveled w/ both stainless and plastic. Will probably go with plastic on our upcoming trip to save weight for dayhikes.

I say, take the umbrella. Odds are you'll need it and it will cost a lot more there. One pair of shoes is what I do. Shoes are heavy and take up lots of space.

I agree about linen... not a good travel fabric.
    I'm focusing on shirts that will dry quickly as I plan our packing, so that I can wash in the sink and dry on hangers in cool, damp weather. So heavier cotton shirts are out, thinner shirts with a light cardigan or two are in.

I always pack a windbreaker. And I nearly always use it. It's not stylish but it's way better than being wet or freezing from wind.

I don't know if credit cards are similar in the UK to Europe, but in Europe they are not nearly as commonly accepted as here in the U.S. Larger hotels and chain stores there take them, but many businesses will charge a 5% fee or not accept them. I suggest checking the network on your ATM card to see if you can use that in the UK to get cash from an ATM.

Other things to consider:
    - eye mask for sleeping on airplane or napping while trying to get over jet lag
    - RF-protecting wallet or small pouch for passports and credit card/ATM card (theft of RFID is reported to be a serious issue in airports)
    - how to make your backpack thief-proof, which seems to be a big problem in many large cities (slashing of pockets or straps)
    - I pack castile soap for laundry in a small plastic toiletry bottle.
    - Plan to pack soap for the shower and/or handwashing, too. Not standard in Europe to supply soap/shampoo.
    - Check the weather the day before you leave and adjust accordingly. Last time we were in Europe it was May and there was a heatwave that set all-time records. Having packed for typical weather, we roasted in our spring-weight long sleeves and long pants (and there was no a/c anywhere).
    - CAMERA!!!

Thread Information