Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Packing/travel advice? - 2 week England trip

http://www.onebag.com/

This site got me started on my quest to pack small for trips. Worked pretty well, but I've mostly stayed in the States on these kinds of trips. Back and forth to Honduras I usually was trying to get a lot of stuff either there (because I couldn't get it there) or back.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Lots of good advice. I was going to say bring a pair of flip flops for going around in the hotel or if your feet need a break from the one pair of shoes and you are going somewhere simple/not out all day. But if I remember you had a foot surgery or something so you know your foot needs!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

When I go to the UK no matter the time of year I never seem to get the coat thing right. I suppose that the best kind of coat is a water shedding (but not water proof) jacket. The water proof ones would likely be too hot for me. I always go coat shopping at the thrift stores for overseas travel. The last time we went to Scotland we went in July and there were plenty of cool days, evenings, and rain. I thought I was so smart and got a cotton jacket in a plaid. While it was nice looking, it soaked up rain and was wet most of the time.

I don't know if you need a hat, but then, I tend not to wear them. Do you wear on normally, and for what reason? I wear sunglasses to block the sun, I don't use a hat for that.

If you normally use an umbrella, then take a foldup one. Agreed that they can be expensive over there. Me--I never take an umbrella but I will say that when my traveling companions had umbrellas for downpours, I did stand under them.

One good tip about underwear that I read somewhere: save your old worn out underwear for these trips, then don't bring them home.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    One good tip about underwear that I read somewhere: save your old worn out underwear for these trips, then don't bring them home.
    We did that the last couple of times we visited Europe, it doesn't save a great deal of space on the return trip but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to cart dirty underwear from one continent to another.

We learned a lot on our first two week trip to Europe (England, France, Austria, Germany). We took along the modern day equivalent of a steamer trunk and several carry-on bags. As we moved from city to city, as well as from airport to hotel, that huge trunk was a real problem trying to negotiate narrow train aisles and long flights of steps to and from subways. By the time trip #3 or 4 came around, we were travelling with two carry-ons only. We found that we really didn't need as much as we thought we might.

We also found that by about 2000 or so, there wasn't any need to worry about exchanging money. A debit card and the ready availability of ATM's on practically every street corner made it easy to get what you need, when you need it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't know if credit cards are similar in the UK to Europe, but in Europe they are not nearly as commonly accepted as here in the U.S. Larger hotels and chain stores there take them, but many businesses will charge a 5% fee or not accept them. I suggest checking the network on your ATM card to see if you can use that in the UK to get cash from an ATM.

- Plan to pack soap for the shower and/or handwashing, too. Not standard in Europe to supply soap/shampoo.*

- Check the weather the day before you leave and adjust accordingly. Last time we were in Europe it was May and there was a heatwave that set all-time records. Having packed for typical weather, we roasted in our spring-weight long sleeves and long pants (and there was no a/c anywhere).
    I agree about the linen pants, unless they're blended with cotton, they'll be permanently wrinkled. Plus, British summers can be erratic so you may find it too chilly to wear them.

As for credit cards, they're accepted almost everywhere in the UK apart from in small shops which might require a minimum £5 transaction. Another thing to note is that American Express is not always very widely accepted.

In hotels of all standards, basic toiletries are generally supplied. You'll always get one of those tiny bars of soap anyhow. Maybe this isn't true of some hotels in continental Europe, but in the UK it's a given unless you're staying in a hostel or basic guesthouse.

The "summer" weather here is very unpredictable so I definitely second checking the forecast right up to the last minute. It's not always warm, nor consistently so. The air doesn't generally warm up like in other countries, so it may only be warm in the sun There is the occasional "heatwave" that might last a few days though.

Snacks! I always bring some snacks such as crackers or an apple. There have been too many delays on planes and at airports for me to go too long without decent food. Hating to pay high airport prices for food, bringing some snacks works for me.

You can usually bring what you want you want on the plane, just remember that you may need to leave things such as uneaten fresh fruit behind on the plane as the next country may not allow it entry.

Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the rolling suitcase vs duffel bag? Like not having to lift things, but on the other hand a duffel bag is more squashable - possibly easier to take on buses and trains.
    What do you think?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Read the website I mentioned above, he has definite opinions on the subject. At least it will give you food for thought on the subject.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

You might look into a convertible bag. These have shoulder strap as well as tuck away backpack straps. I have one from LL Bean and love it. Rick Steves recommends these types of bags. They are available on ebags.com.

We always take a rolling duffle bag. Works great!

Thread Information