Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Packing/travel advice? - 2 week England trip

Thanks for the links - still not sure. onebag.com recommends an unstructured bag.
    I don't travel a lot so I don't want to buy something new.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Thanks for the links - still not sure. onebag.com recommends an unstructured bag.
    I don't travel a lot so I don't want to buy something new.
    These are unstructured bags. I use packing cubes and a packing folder to give my LL Bean bag some structure, but with the cinch straps on the sides, I can still make it smaller. Fits well in an overhead.

I think wheels are the best, but I always wonder if one of them will fall off. I buy cheap suitcases and so perhaps the wheels aren't the best. But they've seen me through several trips to the U.K. Besides, the rolling suitcases seem to always have a side handle, right? Just musing here.

If you don't want to check your luggage, ok, I won't make you, but any more I always check luggage because others are not. It's hell getting things jammed into overheads. Back in the day when everyone checked luggage, I did not. I'm contrary that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    Snacks! I always bring some snacks such as crackers or an apple. There have been too many delays on planes and at airports for me to go too long without decent food. Hating to pay high airport prices for food, bringing some snacks works for me.

You can usually bring what you want you want on the plane, just remember that you may need to leave things such as uneaten fresh fruit behind on the plane as the next country may not allow it entry.
    The Department of Ag Beagles caught my half eaten apple in the bottom of my bag once in the States on the way home from Europe. They are so cute. It was entertaining to have them pull me out of the long line, it added interest to an already boring time.

I wouldn't take a travel book. I would read up on the areas before hand. I've been known to photo copy key pages out of a travel book, but that's usual superfluous. All of the places where the OP is going will have scads of slick handouts about the sights.

My bag is from REI, a wheeled soft on 3 sides carry-on that has backpack straps. The best of both worlds. Interestingly enough, I have had it for 9 years and have NEVER used the backpack straps. The wheels are of the tougher rollerblade variety and I can bounce it off of curbs and over uneven terrain.
    I could see a wheeled duffle bag working well also.

Ditto what IL said regarding the guidebook. Books are heavy. I usually get guidebooks from 2nd hand stores so I'll just rip the pages out I want to use or print out the updated info from the internet if necessary.

I would go for the duffle bag if you don't mind carrying it. Wheelie bags are a pain in the neck and add a lot of extra weight.

I usually take a travel backpack (a 'tall' one that ties at the top). So much easier to move around with and it can be taken as carry-on.

Oooh as for travel books, leave them at home. You could photocopy any pages you need but I would strongly advise you to taje advantage of the local tourist information offices. They'll give you all the suggestions and info you need. Have a look at visitengland.com to find locations

I am on a 3 week trip to France right now.

Take a four wheeled very small rolling suitcase. Pack things in zip lock bags to easily get them in and out of the suitcase. You can squish them to get the air out. Now that we did not follow his advice, please read Rick Steves packing info on line and take it from me he is on the right track. You do not need what you will want to pack.

My backpack is heavy and a waste and the folding tote I packed at the last minute is used every day. The backpack actually has too many segments and I can never find what I need when they fall into the bottom. The suitcase I flip open and shirts and pants are on the left and the bags of underwear and personal items are on the right. Easy access. Zip lock bags are cheap and useful for so many things. For packing the 2 gallon ones are great and they are found at the grocery store.

I used Rick Steves Paris book every day we were in Paris. I got it on Amazon because I wanted the newest edition and it comes on Kindle. Some people in our group complained about finding things quickly on the Kindle version and you might want to hold it while walking if following his walking chapters. So many of the other books were almost all about sleeping and eating and I wanted sightseeing info.

I have Chico's Travelers outfits, jacket and pants, one in black and one in brown, along with Traveler's tops in prints with black and brown, so all goes with all. They never wrinkle, can be hand-washed, and dry overnight. Ridiculously expensive if you buy them new in a Chico's store, but all mine came from ebay. These 2 pants outfits and 3 or 4 tops will scrunch up into very little space, and you can dress it up with a long jersey scarf that can also serve as a headwrap or a shawl. Doing laundry half-way through is great - can you verify which hotel has a laundry room, so you can definitely plan on this? As for a suitcase, I would go with a rolling bag without a doubt. Carrying a heavy weight slung over a shoulder or pulling down on my shoulder is more exhaustion and struggle than I want to deal with anymore. If you end up taking 2 bags (which I think a 2-week vacation probably warrants), split the contents so you have some clothes and underwear in each bag - in case the checked bag gets lost. Put all must-haves, like essential toiletries and all meds, in your carry-on.

What I usually bring is a small carry-on convertible backpack. One that can work as either a suit case or a backpack and also has the extended handle and wheels. I can't remember the brand I have off hand but it also has an expandable section to make it larger if needed (for all those duty-free purchase on return :-)!).

For clothes I am very basic. One pair of dark (black usually) walking shoes (usually trail- running tennis shoes) and a pair of slip on sandals that can be worn with anything. Then I bring a few changes of dark colored clothes (couple pairs of pants, couple pairs of shorts, couple pair of capri's and a few nice tee shirts) that have a blend of synthetics to make them light to carry, non-wrinkling, and easy to wash and dry fast. Just mix and match them and wash and wear as needed. One jacket and one sweater (which I usually wear on the plane with the shoes and one "outfit" so not so much bulky stuff left to put in carry-on).. I also bring a "little black dress" that isn't too low cut and has sleeves so I can wear it out at night as well as to places like churches, etc... Also bring a pair of nice leggings to wear under it in case it's cold or not appropriate to wear a shorter dress out. Bring about a weeks worth of undies (lyrca ones as they can be hand washed an dry fast - same with bras and socks), something to sleep in (tee shirt and shorts).

I bring one very tiny make up bag with just the basics and just pick up shampoo or whatever else I need once I arrive.

Thread Information