Thread: Gave up shampoo/soap/deordorant

Gave up shampoo/soap/deordorant

What? Yep, almost 4 months ago I stopped using soal and shampoo in the shower. It's just me,
    the wash cloth and water.

And...yes, if you are wondering I do use soap after using the toilet.

I have always had oily skin, so when I showered I made sure I was squeaky clean - now only to realize I was ramping up my little oil factories in my skin to produce even more oils.

I do use a little soap on my face to shave in the shower - if my blade is getting towards the end of it's life - to help it glide along. About mid way on my experiment I used some "Dove Men's" shampoo and was overwhelmed by the scent! When you stop using it - you forget how much perfume is in shampoo.

Results - my hair is soft, not oily, my skin is 100% better.

I switched some time ago to "Tim's" Natural deordorant, but even with it I found was a bit irritating. So I switched to "baking soda". I have an old spice jar with a shaker top that I use to spinkle ever so little on my fingers and rub under my arms. Shessh, I can't get over how well it works. No BO - independently checked by my wife! Even after long runs - still minty fresh!

Any other El'Naturales out there?

While not using soap seems reasonable, I know for myself, that not using shampoo results in my "washed" (with water) hair, being heavy, limp and greasy. No lift or volume. I only shampoo twice a week, that's enough, but not at all doesn't seem to work for me.

I do pretty well with just water for washing my hair although I prefer that cheap coconut shampoo, but I love the shower gel I get at the dollar store. It also helps me pumice my feet.

I have not tried it, but Milk of Magnesia is supposed to be an effective substitute for deodorant.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I also don't use soap (except for hand washing) or deodorant (I just don't sweat much, even under a lot of exertion.) I only wash my (long and thick) hair once a week, so feel okay about using shampoo and conditioner. I tried doing without shampoo and my scalp itched like crazy.

When my daughter doesn't use deodorant it really stinks up her clothes, and they need more frequent washing. She's tried baking soda, baking soda and coconut oil, and cornstarch, but she's gone back to Tom's.

I do need to regularly use skin lotion - I try going without but my skin flakes and cracks. Not good.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I need shampoo for my fine hair or it lays flat with no bounce but no conditioner. I use baby's diaper cream with zinc oxide for a deodorant and have for years with success. Soap always for hands to ensure cleanliness but nothing with triclosan which is too harsh and harsh on the environment as well, I read.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Interesting, very interesting.

I am mostly bald so have not used shampoo for decades, but soap yes. It does definitely dry out my skin, removes a layer. Could I do without it, and would I be better off?

I sweat. And I know just water alone does not remove the build-up on my face, and yes, I get zits - I joke at middle-age I still have the skin of a teenager!

Is there something better, more organic, more simple than soap? I am interested....

Razz - thanks for the tip about the zinc oxide ointment! My dd has been using it for her eczema and it helps alot. She has a little eczema under her arms as well, so zinc oxide might do double duty.

Gadder - I use a little baking soda for washing when my skin needs a good scrub. Don't use a lot of pressure or it will be too irritating. It leaves skin very clean and soft.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information