Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Goodwill shopping does me good

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Thanks for mentioning used books -- and what bargains they can be. I'm active with our Friends of the Library group. We raise money for our library with used book sales and stocking a "book nook" inside the library. Our patrons are very generous in donating lots of their gently used books to the library for resale. . ..
    The library in the nearby college town is the same; however I was in their used book nook last week and they were so overstocked that they were practically giving stuff away: magazines 10/$1.00, paperbacks .25 or .50, hardbacks $1.00. Of course more expensive items were marked separately.
    But I'm wondering if we've reached an e-Reader tipping point - are so many people clearing their shelves that the price of a regular used hard copy book is almost nil?

Indianapolis has always had about 6 huge multi day book sales each year. They fully stock a huge room with tall shelves and have at least 8 people counting and checking out and 2 cash registers going. Prices are similiar to the above post. We have people with ISBN readers pulling books for sale. (had to change the rules about boxes in the aisles and box sizes due to them.) Stock is donations (we take ours to them) and books removed from the library itself. One corner is a separate higher value area but the books are not much more expensive.

I have even gotten books to sell on Ebay. One set I paid $18 for 18, I sold for $20 each but it was only because of some obscure knowledge I had.

I shop several thrift stores in the Boise area, but especially like Idaho Youth Ranch, which provides emergency shelter, residential care, substance abuse treatment, job readiness training, alternative education, adoption services, family counseling, and more for at-risk kids and their struggling parents and families. I like what they do, so I also donate (money, as well as items for re-sale) to them regularly ...

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    IL: Perhaps a dumb question, but I'm not proud - what's a theatre coat? I did try googling it first, but I remain unenlightened.
    It's a dressy, light coat, in a luxe fabric. It's not intended to keep you warm, it's intended to go over your dressy outfit for the evening. I think they are also called evening coats and were a "thing" before everyone stopped dressing. They were extremely popular 1920's - 1930's (before the war) and then again in the 50's through the 60's.

I've got a blue velvet one with a fur collar from the '20;s and a red velveteen swing coat from the 60's as well as this recent black velvet find for $1. What I love about the old velvets is that they are soooooo luxuriously soft, the high quality velvet fabric is amazing.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm not a real dressy type, so a theatre coat wouldn't really fit in with my lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It's a dressy, light coat, in a luxe fabric. It's not intended to keep you warm, it's intended to go over your dressy outfit for the evening. I think they are also called evening coats and were a "thing" before everyone stopped dressing. They were extremely popular 1920's - 1930's (before the war) and then again in the 50's through the 60's.

I've got a blue velvet one with a fur collar from the '20;s and a red velveteen swing coat from the 60's as well as this recent black velvet find for $1. What I love about the old velvets is that they are soooooo luxuriously soft, the high quality velvet fabric is amazing.
    wooo fancy :-)! I just a bought a really cute (and brand new never-worn) semi-dress jacket from The Salvation Army for $3 (marked down from $15 and with a 50% off coupon. Think it's Anne Klein or Ann Tayor (Ann somebody). It's a really nice black fabric with white piping (Chanel style) button short trench with a really nice lining. Wore it with jeans and black boots. I generally don't buy clothes at thrift stores but will do outer wear pretty often. Also got a gray wool knit long jacket/sweater thing with a hood and crystal buttons there for about $8. Very cute. Also a couple of the long sleeve Columbia SPF (sunblock) button down "Bahamas" shirt in teal - both new - for $4/each.

You scored very nicely, Spartana!

I picked up a cool manual aqua blue old small typewriter to add to my collection....for $1.00 It works great and I've been looking for an aqua blue one for ages. I've got 7 of them now. This one I'm keeping on the coffee table with paper in it and we're having fun leaving notes for each other.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Oh Float on, I wonder if the aqua typewriter was mine....I gave it to goodwill years ago. Pica type and quite small with its own carrying case, I guess they had those. I'd like to think someone got good use out of mine.

Thread Information