Thread: stilltasty.com

stilltasty.com

I had a question about how many days after purchasing a rotisserie chicken would it still be ok to eat and came across this website..... http://www.stilltasty.com

It looks like a pretty comprehensive site & thought I would share.
    I haven't gotten way into it yet though.

Do you have a favorite go-to site for these kinds of questions that's better?

I do not have a better one.

I looked at three vegetables I have in my refrigerator right now.

Cabbage, fresh, raw, 1 week
    Brussels sprouts, fresh, raw, 3-5 days
    Asparagus, fresh, raw, 3-4 days

They were all purchased at the same market trip, which was nearly two weeks ago. Frankly, I had forgotten about the asparagus and was surprised to find that it looks, smells and tastes perfect. I would ordinarily leave asparagus for longer than a week.

A quick look at the rest is pretty much what I have seen on our state's web site for this kind of thing. I would use your site again. Thanks.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Great site! (Assuming it is authoritative).

I like the freezing eggs section, and the overall emphasis on the fact that most foods are perfectly fine to eat well after the "best-before" date, with a few exceptions. Good section on hamburger too.

I looked at three vegetables I have in my refrigerator right now.

Cabbage, fresh, raw, 1 week
    Brussels sprouts, fresh, raw, 3-5 days
    Asparagus, fresh, raw, 3-4 days

They were all purchased at the same market trip, which was nearly two weeks ago. Frankly, I had forgotten about the asparagus and was surprised to find that it looks, smells and tastes perfect. I would ordinarily leave asparagus for longer than a week.
    yes those times seem short, cabbage can last pretty much forever (ok not really - but 1 week is ridicuous for cabbage). Maximum flavor and nutrients might be sooner though. But then it's not that hard to tell when veggies aren't good (they are growing mold, they are soggy and limp ...), meat and eggs and so on is where I'd tend to have questions I'd need to look up, and bad meat really is risky.
    Trees don't grow on money

I knew that I could safely keep eggs for three weeks beyond the sale date, but their site verifies what I wanted it to be, which is five weeks, if the eggs are stored properly. I do not buy much meat and always use it within two days or toss it. I have found that trying to be frugal and use meat that is a few days old is not a good idea, even it if smells all right.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Thread Information