Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I just finished a really good book. The Light between Oceans by M.L.Stedman. It is set in Australia shortly after WW I. Good story, well drawn characters. Love, loss, redemption. I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads and I almost never do that for fiction.
    I absolutely loved that book. I actually cried and that is rare for me with a book.

I loved The Light Between Oceans as well. I'm currently enjoying "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes.

I'll have to order some of these from the library!

I'm a big Kim Stanley Robinson fan, but I found "2312" pretty slow going. I loved his book "Shaman" - I thought it was one of the best books of 2013.

I recently read "What we leave behind" by Derrick Jensen - very powerful:

"What We Leave Behind" is a piercing, impassioned guide to living a truly responsible life on earth. Human waste, once considered a gift to the soil, has become toxic material that has broken the essential cycle of decay and regeneration. Here, award-winning author Derrick Jensen and activist Aric McBay weave historical analysis and devastatingly beautiful prose to remind us that life—human and nonhuman—will not go on unless we do everything we can to facilitate the most basic process on earth, the root of sustainability: one being's waste must always become another being’s food.

"The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon" - the latest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency novels by Alexander McCall Smith.

Really love this series. It's got all the human drama plus some comedy thrown in, plus you get to learn about the Botswana culture through these wonderful main characters.

Just finishing up "The King Raven Trilogy", by Stephen R. Lawhead. These are a series of historical novels based on the Robin Hood legend. Lawhead relocates Robin Hood from Sherwood Forest in Nottingham to Wales, and sets the story in the late eleventh century, after the Battle of Hastings and to coincide with the Norman invasion of Wales and the struggles the Cymru (Welsh) people against the Normans, and the political intrigue of medieval Britain. The trilogy consists of three books named Hood, Scarlet, and Tuck, which reimagine the story of Robin Hood in more authentic and gritty settings.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm skimming some new adult picture books, ones about Judy Chicago's Dinner Party art piece now 30 years old (it's now in a permanent installation), a history of the Chelsea flower show (did you know that gnomes were forbidden for all but one year in all of the decades of the show???!!!)

I found a book from the 1960's in a vintage shop about growing lilies. I'll be donating to the silent auction at the International Lily convention in July, and I'm skimming that.

Greg Guttfeld's book Not Cool: The Hipster Elite and the War on You is something I just started. My friend raves about Guttfield but I've read his prose in another book and just think that he is ok.

I picked up that book about how communities are built in disaster, the one recommended by bae. The checkout girl at the library said that the author is a "beautiful writer" and so, it's fine, but I wouldn't say it's beautifully written, it is competent and she's got a point of view.

I just finished The Sandcastle Girls. It is about the Armenian genocide of 1915. The story is gripping (I really hate to use that word in describing a story but it really is gripping.) The characters are very well drawn. Not light reading but excellent story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon" - the latest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency novels by Alexander McCall Smith.

Really love this series. It's got all the human drama plus some comedy thrown in, plus you get to learn about the Botswana culture through these wonderful main characters.
    Lainey, I didn't know there was a new one out! Thank you! I love this series too. Now to put it on hold at the library!!

ah, the Ladies of the Detective Agency. I've read 3 or 4 of those, love that series. They are English Village novels only they are set in Botswana.

Iris and Florence, I too enjoyed...well couldn't put down The Sandcastle Girls. I do love the Ladies Detective Agency. They are so gentle and quite good for reading at night before sleep. I've just finished Philomena and loved it. Also The Invention of Wings. Both expose some real ugliness in the world, but end with a bit of hope. But not for before sleep reading.

Thread Information