Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Gift economy in building community

Is there someone in the iris society interested coming, digging and labeling etc for the sale? That way they would be put to a good cause. Also would the iris society consider "grab bags" where you get what you get?

Out newspaper also has a free section to list.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
    Is there someone in the iris society interested coming, digging and labeling etc for the sale? That way they would be put to a good cause. Also would the iris society consider "grab bags" where you get what you get?

Out newspaper also has a free section to list.
    One of the problems is that my labels are mostly gone after my garden was ravaged last year by a group of children. I will have to spend hours putting them back next year, I just did not have time this year tp make new tags and match them to plants. That's why they are not of use to our Iris Society, they aren't named. We don't sell unnamed iris. But I would guarantee them all as being new introductions of the past 15 years because that is all that I buy, and most are from the past 7 years.

So that's why my "dig them and put a notice up on Craigslist" is my best solution until I get all of the labels set in more permanently. I did the big iris purge this year to keep them healthy, so the beds will be fine for another 2 years.

Why can't you just dig up and sack up some of them Iririses's, and send 'em to the various people on this board who would take some Irirese's if logistics weren't a prollem? Just put 'em(the Iriseses') in a pail, and send em when the weather isn't too cold or too hot, yet. See?

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Why can't you just dig up and sack up some of them Iririses's, and send 'em to the various people on this board who would take some Irirese's if logistics weren't a prollem? Just put 'em(the Iriseses') in a pail, and send em when the weather isn't too cold or too hot, yet. See?
    I might do that when I retire. This year I barely had time to thin beds and I didn't much care where the thinned plants ended up.

IL; Isn't there any kind of spray you can get to keep ravaging children out of your garden? Something organic of course, but still effective - perhaps with pyrethrins?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    IL; Isn't there any kind of spray you can get to keep ravaging children out of your garden? Something organic of course, but still effective - perhaps with pyrethrins?
    These kids moved on a couple of months after destroying much of the iris crop of 2013. They are of "the urban poor" social group, and given today's environment of civil unrest in my city I won't be coming remotely close to any action that's confrontational with them or their peers.

Besides, the kids are gone, the iris plants survived as I knew they would, and now the only thing missing are the plant labels. and that is recoverable.

Liquid fence. It smells like a combination of garlic and rotten eggs. For Deer, but would probably work for "Dear Little Ones" as well.

Bisbee had a volunteer gardening group called Bisbee Bloomers that did a lot of city beautification projects, they would have been thrilled to death with a contribution like those irises. I wonder if you could make a charitable donation to some group that could either plant or sell them.

Iris, what kills them? We used to have a LOT more then there are around here now. I know some people dug them up (traditional item in this neighborhood), and some ground errosion caused problems, but I think most of mine where killed when the city came in and started spraying everything around where overhead lines were, to keep down the tree of heaven weeds. (too common because a neighbor has two intermixed with weed elm tree's, not the old dutch)
    On my list is to eventually repopulate them.

Thread Information