Thread: Seeking the name of an old made for T.V. movie

Seeking the name of an old made for T.V. movie

Please forgive me if I have posted this somewhere in the past; I could have done so since every now and then I scour every alternative in this on-going quest. I think it was in the late 1980's, (could have been very early 1990's), there was a made for T.V. movie that starts out with a high school age girl waking up in her bed, the radio is on and playing a song "Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry". The movie progresses through her life with a boy she met and fell in love with. Then they are in college. For some reason she breaks up with him and he barricades himself in the campus radio station where is is a deejay, and blasts "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers constantly over the whole campus. Someone finds her and gets her to talk him out. Hitting highlights: they do marry, then divorce, and through it all he stays involved in the music business. When he comes back for their daughter's wedding they take a drive to talk and she (the ex-wife) finally gets him to turn the radio off and she asks him "why has this always been so important to you?" (meaning music). The thing of it is, I don't know the name of the movie or who played any roles in it and I have been trying to find a reference to it for years. Today I heard Time Has Come Today on the radio and I again wanted to find this movie. I have even google the song asking what movies it was featured in, but couldn't find one that seemed to be the one I am seeking. If this rings a bell to anyone, please le tme know.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I looked up Darlene Love at IMBD, but do not see a 1980s television movie listed there.

It was in 1991's Father of the Bride, but that is nothing like the story you remember.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0522306/
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Sounds kind of like "Peggy Sue got Married" but I'm sure that's not it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Sounds kind of like "Peggy Sue got Married" but I'm sure that's not it...
    No, that's not it I really think it was just a made for TV movie.

Thanks Jilly for your reply and you're right, it wasn't Father of the Bride either.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Through creative Googling and sheer tenacity, I found it! It was a pilot for a short-lived TV series. I found this description in the Santa Cruz Sentinel on Oct. 6, 1988:

"In the concluding scene in the pilot of CBS' "Almost Grown," Norm and Suzie sit in a car listening to a rock station on the radio. They have changed in the 20-odd years since they met, but the music has not. "Those same three chords," Norm says. "It's good to know there's something you can count on." "Almost Grown" is an ambitious history of a marriage, set against that nebulous force that formed a generation who came of age in the '60s and '70s rock 'n' roll. The show inevitably will be compared to ABC's "thirtysomething," since it deals with a couple in their 30s and the foibles of the New Age 1980s and is designed to appeal to baby boomers. But it's a unique, engaging show that deserves a look on its own merit. Timothy Daly and Eve Gordon star as Norman and Suzie. Each episode Intends to flash back from the present to the pre Beatles 1960s, when Norm and Suzie were in high school, and-or 1971 ish, when they were college revolutionaries. All three phases are equally evocative, and Daly and Gordon manage to play the couple convincingly from high school to impending middle age. The two-hour pilot, premiering Nov. 27, begins with Norm finding Suzie in a store's shoe department, wearing a white wedding gown. It flashes back to their meeting in high school, when Norm was the goody-goody best friend of Suzie's brother Joey (Albert Macklin) andSuzie was a wild child, hanging out with Angelo, the hood. She develops a crush on Norm and hears "Today I Met the Boy I'm Gonna Marry" on the radio. By 1971, they are living together at college. He's a disc Jockey on the university radio station, she's an aspiring documentary filmmaker out to change the world. They spout free love, but become jealous. Suzie walks out after getting the" [this was the end of the page and you had to buy a subscriptionto see more]

OH MY GOODNESS sbagirl! That's IT!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe that after all these years I have found it. Or, more correctly, you found it! I had no idea it was a pilot for a t.v. series - I only saw this one episode and thought it was a made for t.v. movie. I am thrilled! I have told so many people about it and I get blank looks - for all I know I am the only person who ever watched it! And not being able to recall the actors or the name of it made my search more difficult. Now, I'm going to see if I can chase it down - hope it still seems as good to me as it did over 20 years ago. Thanks for your tenacity sbagirl!

You're welcome. I enjoy the challenge of finding obscure things like this. My husband says I'm stubborn; I say I'm tenacious.

It's not available on DVD per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Grown_(TV_series)

In case you're interested in how my mind works, after numerous dead ends I stumbled across the Santa Cruz Sentinel article by googling something like: "Today I Met the Boy I'm Gonna Marry" + "Time Has Come Today" + soundtrack + TV movie 1985 [and kept changing the year until I hit it with 1988].

Amazing to see that this can be done! Great effort.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Awesome!
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Thread Information