Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your actual thoughts on running

Your actual thoughts on running

I am posting this here because I know the answers I would get on the running forum.
    Running, really is it good for a person? Does it stress the body more then help it? What age is too old to run? Is walking actually better? Those type questions.
    I am running again training for a 1/2 later in summer. I feel a great accomplishment when I go far. I also feel the effects on my 53 year old body Nothing big, but I know it. Then I say to myself Why am I doing this? Self satisfaction, I can't believe I just did this, is my reason I come up with.
    I listened to a Canadian station yesterday, the topic was running long distances and how not great it is for bodies. That if everyone just walked at least 30 minutes a day, people in general would be healthier. Of course since this was the topic of the show, every caller had horror stories of running either themselves or a friend.

My husband's knee doctor said running is not the best thing you can do with questionable knees. He recommended biking, walking and swimming.

My rule is no jumping or running. Exercise with one foot on the floor. Due to bad school classes resulting in several injuries and fear of further damage and bad knees too.

We are currently walking (free), low impact cardio with all kinds of other movements, and weight training.

i think it is good for you. Or maybe more accurately I think it is good for me. Moderation is good, but honestly most people don't come close to harmful distances. I'm pushing 50 and training for a 50K. But I like trail running. I'll run on a paved path near my house for convenience but for longer runs almost all are in the park, in the woods, off road.

Another trail runner here. I've run trails almost exclusively for the past 11 years. I think it is much easier on my body than paved surfaces. I also don't think long distance is a problem, if people are smart about their training. I'll run multiple 50 mile races this year and (hopefully) a 100 miler. I've never suffered a serious running related injury. I'm a huge proponent of ice baths and take one after any hard workout (running or otherwise). It seems to make a huge difference in my recovery. In addition to running, I also weight train (very moderately) and do martial arts 4 times per week. Prior to this I trained for and raced triathlon. I think training for multiple sports also minimizes injury as it makes your body stronger in a variety of ways, not just one way, which could open you up to repetitive stress injuries.

Yossarian, welcome to the ultra runners club! If you're like me, the first 50K will have you hooked!!!
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

I had it in my head to start running last fall. I've always HATED it, but I figured this is my last chance to really start a more rigorous cardiovascular program that might be fun (before I have to join the water aerobics crowd at the senior center . Plus I've always admired those 70-80 year old marathoners so I figured, why not follow through on the inspiration? I did look into all the risks for older people, and I came across a running style that seems perfect for me. It's called Chi Running, and it was developed by Danny Dreyer. Here's an excerpt from their "about" page:

Since 1999, ChiRunning has helped thousands of runners transform their technique - reducing, preventing and recovering from injuries. Runners of all ages and levels have improved their efficiency and performance, and now find running to be pain-free, easier, and enjoyable. The main principles of ChiRunning include:

Relaxation
    Correct alignment and posture
    Landing with a midfoot strike
    Using a "gravity-assisted" forward lean
    Engaging core strength for propulsion
    Connecting the mind and body to prevent injury
    Basically, there's nothing magic about it--it's simply learning how to lead from your core so you automatically assume better posture and are lighter on your feet. So I tried it and I really enjoyed it for a short period of time.. what I liked about running is that every day I was able to observe some small progress--a few more steps without being winded--increased ease, etc. Since I tend to be very goal-oriented, this was great. Plus I really wanted to train my dog to run with me, because she's very energetic.

I stopped because of an unrelated minor medical thing, and then never got back on it before the winter. Our winter made it ridiculous to try. Maybe I'll go for it again now that the weather is more amenable. I really like the concept.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm back to trail running and loving it. I notice a huge difference between trails and paved paths. The pavement or asphalt I really feel in the feet, ankle, knees. The trails through the woods are much softer and kinder, plus there is more agility in ups/downs/avoiding rocks etc. Along with Catherine's Chi Running, I can understand that. In the woods I feel taller and more attune, when I'm on a roadway I actually feel myself slumping a little more and feeling shorter or held down.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

From an evolutionary perspective, I don't believe nature designed the human body to run for long distances, but rather to walk for long distances and run in short bursts. Not too long ago I saw a Ted talk (sorry, don't remember the title so can't provide a link) in which a cardiologist made a pretty persuasive case that endurance sports generally aren't especially good for you.

I ran some when I was younger but never really liked it. I've always liked walking, though. I walk 30 minutes on the treadmill most days, throwing in hills to get the heart rate up into the cardio zone. I also walk and hike recreationally.

It's worth remembering that the first marathoner in ancient Greece allegedly dropped dead after he finished running the distance .

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I saw a Ted talk (sorry, don't remember the title so can't provide a link)
    Probably this one: http://youtu.be/Y6U728AZnV0

But the studies are pretty inconclusive: www.athletesheart.org/dont-stop-running-yet/ and http://www.runnersworld.com/health/t...th-rises-again

If there is a sweet spot, the vast majority of people are on the sedentary side of it.

Another ultra runner here. I think running overall is great for your cardiovascular system and other body systems, including muscles, tendons and ligaments, but can be tough on joints. The jarring and pounding can be too much for some people especially if running on hard surfaces. So might not be the best form of exercise if that's what you are wanting to run for, and not merely for the joy and/or completion of it. Probably walking or other forms of exercise is better. I personally think that if you are just looking for an easy-on-the-body form of exercise, walking can't be beat - with some power walking spurts to get the heart rate up. That with some upper body weight lifting.

However, few people I know who run do it JUST for exercise. There is an allure and power to the sport that is very enjoyable. And like most sports (rather than exercise) they can trash your body. That's one reason you do see a lot of older people who love to run and also love to compete doing trail running and ultras (look at the races and check out all the ages) as they are a bit easier on the old joints. They are generally slower races on nice soft trails in beautiful settings. So now I try to stick to trails or at least asphalt on my daily runs at my local park. Much easier on my body and actually more physically challenging to run hilly trails than the flat paved road or bike paths around here.
    Last edited by Spartana; 5-23-14 at 6:19pm.

Spartana - I think what you said about sport vs exercise is really interesting.

I do not have a running body.
    I have tried it and ended up with shin splints and achilles heel problems and aches everywhere else.
    On top of that, I just hate it. Every second of it.
    I love walking and hiking, and sometimes I'm inspired to take a half mile jog along the way, but running for miles is just bad for my particular body.
    I agree with Float On about being off-road, both for running and walking. Earth is much less jarring to bones and feet and the uneven terrain helps people to focus and break up their stride a little.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information