Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone trying the 333 Project?

Anyone trying the 333 Project?

This is so fun: The 333 Project is basically paring down your wardrobe (including accessories/shoes) to 33 items for 3 months. I first heard about it via Joshua Becker's book/site which I love.

I've started the project (with a few variations) three weeks ago today and cannot tell you how liberating and awesome it is. I'm not a minimalist by nature--I'm really creative and get bored with "sameness" easily so I often like to pick up new pieces of clothes/accessories (all thrifted!) to spice up my wardrobe. I was worried I would be bored and lost without anything to wear within a week. But I'm now heading into week 4 and haven't had a SINGLE duplicate outfit in all that time.

I should note that I work at home and even though I dress for work (casual/professional--no working in PJs for me!) the challenge might be a little more difficult if you work outside the home full-time. Still, it's a lot of fun and totally eye-opening. I don't think I'm even going to delve into the bags I have tucked away before donating the rest of my closet.

Has anyone else tried it? What did you think?
    www.scaredEcat.com For readers and writers of frightening books.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyous_5 View Post
    This is so fun: The 333 Project is basically paring down your wardrobe (including accessories/shoes) to 33 items for 3 months. I first heard about it via Joshua Becker's book/site which I love.

I've started the project (with a few variations) three weeks ago today and cannot tell you how liberating and awesome it is. I'm not a minimalist by nature--I'm really creative and get bored with "sameness" easily so I often like to pick up new pieces of clothes/accessories (all thrifted!) to spice up my wardrobe. I was worried I would be bored and lost without anything to wear within a week. But I'm now heading into week 4 and haven't had a SINGLE duplicate outfit in all that time.
    Maybe this is a generational thing, but when I started working at NBC in NYC, the rule (there, as elsewhere) was you can't duplicate the same outfit in one week.

For me, now, as you said it's different when you work from home, but I EASILY fit within the 33 items. My DD who was here last weekend says she spends $200 a month on clothes. I haven't spent $200 on clothes all year, I have not added one thing to my wardrobe since January, and I do travel on business roughly 60 days of the year, where I have to look presentable.

Joyous, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer--I'm really asking if this truly is generational. So for those of you over, say, 50 years old, do you wear more than 33 items in 3 months? I really don't. And I think I look fine when I have to. At home, I recycle my clothes every 5 days.

My 33 items are:

4 pr yoga pants
    4 shirts
    3 sweaters
    2 nice skirts
    2 nice pants
    2 "nicer" sweaters
    2 crew neck shirts
    2 scarves
    4 pairs of shoes
    1 belt
    2 blazers
    1 collared shirt
    1 pair of khaki pants
    1 dress

=31 items
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm soon to be 60 (I keep saying that hoping I'll be able to get through it in December...) and I have closets and closets of clothes. I'm going through them now, sorting out what doesn't work anymore, and what doesn't really fit anymore. I use the method of putting the clean cothes on the ends (tops on one side, pants on the other) and pulling from the middle when I get dressed. If something sits in the middle for awhile, I ponder why I don't want to wear it. I have an entire other closet of 'other' clothes. Doesn't take a lot to make it 'other', off season, too dressy for work, etc. So, if your premise is that us 'mature' women don't have a lot of clothes, sorry... But, remember, I've had at least 80 pr of hanging pants (not jeans or other causal folded ones) since at least 3 versions of this board ago when it was first mentioned and I'm the official 'not- Fawn' (started to type 'anti-Fawn', as in anti-matter to matter, but I'm not anti her personally at all, in fact I miss her voice and her 100 thing count here).
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Ignoring undies, I only OWN 31 garments, some of which I might wear less than once a year. I'll be 60 next year. I certainly had more than that when I was younger, and cared more about clothes then than I do now.
    Blogging at adventures99.wordpress.com

I agree that it can make a big difference if you work outside the home in a business setting. So for now I don't see doing this, but after retirement in the next 18 mos or so I'm definitely paring down. Good reminder.

I wonder if I even own 33 pieces of clothing ... Maybe I wish I did , but I don't tend to own that much.
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm toning up and losing some weight that I'd gained since the broken ankle and I've been making a very dedicated effort with the closet. I'm trying to wear everything I own at least once and make a decision "keep" or "donate". I don't think I'll ever get as low as 33 items but I want it to only be things I really enjoy. I still need workout, hiking, kayaking, swimming, work, church, casual items.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Heck....I don't even want to decrease my shoes to 33. I'm not going to count shoes.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Clothes are my nemesis; they are like life these days - too many choices. Trying to keep current keeps my head spinning. It's a conspiracy I suppose to keep us shopping. For someone like dd, it would be a nice challenge. She probably has at least 33 of every category.

I don't know how many clothing items I have. I have one dresser full and one very (1940's cottage) small closet. I rarely buy clothes anymore. I knit my sweaters, tops, gloves, socks, and scarves. I buy pants and dresses at the Salvation Army. They have some really nice stuff. I need to go through everything again and donate what I'm not wearing. I'm happy with the amount of clothing that I have.

Thread Information