Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine and body aches/pains

Caffeine and body aches/pains

Has anyone here cut down their caffeine usage and felt better? I just reduced my coffee consumption to one cup a day. I used to have two cups a day. Before that, I'd have three or four. These were cafe au laits. Finally decided to wean myself since I was having severe aches in my legs and hips. I'm amazed at the difference! I also switched from sugar to Agave. Decided to cut out as much sugar as possible. I feel a lot younger, and a lot more relaxed. I had been limping and feeling arthritic...

A friend of mine said his chiropractor said that coffee is one of the main culprits of back pain.

I feel very healthy, and I'm a 3 cup a day coffee drinker. No aches or pains. However, I never use sugar or (God forbid) artificial sweeteners in my coffee. And I've got a relaxed personality, so if I were more relaxed I'd probably be asleep (also why I never liked pot).

However, I know caffeine is vilified by some and praised by others, so I guess it's one of those cases where it depends on the individual.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I know it causes me problems, but life isn't worth living without it.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    ... life isn't worth living without it.
    You said it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I feel more energetic when I drink coffee. There is no support for it, but my joints feel better, too, more juiced up and flexible. Strong coffee is a help for my asthma, as well. I do not use sugar, though.

I have two friends, well, a friend and a co-worker who feel terrible if they have any caffeine. So, it totally makes sense that some people can have coffee and other caffeinated stuff with no problems and that others have to avoid the stuff.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Yeah, I've tried to quit at least ten times. I really enjoy a cup of coffee, but I love my dancing more...seems like my body can handle one cup. So, I don't have to completely abstain.
    It's just for me, more than that means the difference between feeling 80 years old and 35 years old. I also used to put three spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee. I'm sure that's part of it.

Hi awakened soul,

I also cutout all sugar from my diet and feel so much healthier... Am also cutting out as much white flour as possible too. I do feel so much better but still have to turn a lot at night due to my hips. Am now taking turmeric as of late and will see what type of results I get.

All of your new creative outlets sound like so much fun! Chris

I don't like the taste of coffee (or beer or other alcohol) but do love the smell!! Since I can't get caffeine that way, I do take caffeine pills -- I buy No-Doze and cut the pills in quarters (each pill is 200mg so 1/4 pill is 50mg caffeine) and I take 1/4 pill two or three times a day, "as needed". We do drink a lot of iced tea, but use the decaf kind. I used to be addicted to Coke or Pepsi (with added lemon juice), but I've weaned myself off all sodas, which is definitely good. I grew up with wonderful "sweet" water that came into our small town by train every day and drank only water for many years. I miss that.

"Studies have shown" that caffeine is "good for you" and DH loves his potent coffee (which probably has 1000mg per cup ), which he definitely doesn't need since he is extremely high energy naturally -- I've always called him the Energizer Bunny. He drives me crazy ...

Caffeine makes me more tired in the long run (some might say that's burned out adrenals but it might just be something much more mundane - as in you don't sleep as well when you drink caffeine! I've heard even in ways you aren't entirely conscious of you don't sleep as well - you wake up at night without realizing it). I also definitely think in the long run it increases a tendency to depression.

And it's also hard to get the dosage right (especially with imprecise things like loose leaf black tea), so I'd be sitting there going out of my mind at my desk with caffeine energy some days, like I couldn't sit still or concentrate at all (when I used to seriously imbibe the stuff). I like many people LIKE the immediate effects of caffeine (more initial energy, initially a bit of euphoria) but I've expressed it many times I really don't' believe it's a good thing long term. I've read the books on caffeine is bad (like "caffeine blues") and I believe them.

This is me now: decaf black tea on weekdays only (my "latte habit", only it's decaf tea rather than lattes, yea I need to find a cheaper way to get decaf tea but ). Occasional free sample mini lattes at Trader Joe's (if I could just drink lattes (not espresso) out of a shot glass - that's just the amount I can handle without side effects, it would work). Dark chocolate (that's pretty low caffeine, it's not a problem - as much as I want of dark chocolate ).

ODing on wheat seems to hurt my joints more than caffeine though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting to hear how different people respond to caffeine. I think it's partly hormonal, too. I'm pushing 50, and I don't seem to burn off toxins as well as I did when I was younger. Well, back then I was taking ballet class every day, and sweating through a show every night. I've heard that in menopause you can't get away with as much as when you were younger.
    I auditioned for Jersey Boys in Las Vegas last week. (in spite of my age.) The ad was for women in their 20's and 30's. The production team gave me great feedback, so now I'm motivated to really be in the best shape I can. As long as I can have my one morning cup of java, I'm fine. I might buy a smaller mug, like a baby mug.
    Thanks tussiemussies! I was surprised I could do the dance call. It was fun being around so many young, fit, artistic people. I'm going to try drinking more water...

Thread Information