Thread: When to turn down a job offer?

When to turn down a job offer?

So, my job will end pretty much this summer due to budget constraints. Since I'm a good worker and my boss is nice and has the freedom to do so, I know well in advance and have started the process of looking at what's next. I have a few prospects but some may not be a good fit, and some I applied because what the hey. Because I wasn't really expecting a response, I have been a little casual about it, but now a few of the jobs I'm on the fence about are moving into a more serious role. Part of my decision may be between a "safe" job that's...ok or a complete career change that could be great or awful. Thanks to Simple Living, I'm not in the position to be desperate for a job though I do need some more years of paid work until FI3 (still a bit over 20 years til I can access retirement work accounts, for example). Each thing has some "thing" that wrong with it-one I already turned down because the commute is too far, though the work itself is the best option, for example. I was hoping someone here (Llamo in particular comes to mind!) has advice on navigating the job "dance" when it's at this stage. Part, maybe a very large part, of my issue is that I am not entirely certain what I want, or what I really think I want is so far different from anything I've done before that I have a difficult time deciding if I should try that even if everyone thinks I'm crazy. This is a little rambling but any advice is appreciated!

I don't know, I just turned down an interview for a job where I could earn 15k more than currently because the company was so sleazy that the the choice became clear. But I have a job (present job) for the foreseeable future as far as I know anyway. A commute I'm doing now - but I'm just about to the point I throw in the towel and move for the current job, maybe in a month or two. I've kind of vowed to myself after this I will NEVER EVER commute again (which means I will ALWAYS move for jobs in the future - and this renter has come to accept that - yea it's a real pain to move but less of a pain than commuting overall). When I'm unemployed I tend to take whatever comes along though. Which is why I end up with not the greatest jobs, paycuts, etc.. I don't think it's great for one's career at all, probably part of why I very much under-achieve. OTOH, I don't stay unemployed for long after I've started looking.
    Trees don't grow on money

Go to career counseling. It is free at Worksource (the old government unemployment agency).

You get a card (like a library card) so you can access the computer programs. The initial one takes most of an hour but it is really worth it because it makes you think through things.

Then make an appointment with a counselor. They are amazingly skilled and helpful.

I think it's good to write down your goals. For me, I'm auditioning for shows that are union, pay scale, and are where I live or in Las Vegas. I practice every day developing the skills that those creative teams want. I go to all of their auditions. I'm learning techniques that would help me in the field. (like sight reading music.)

When I look back at my career, I wrote down most of the shows I wanted to do, and pursued them. That way, you are happier with what you achieve. You're the captain of your own ship, so to speak. It also helps to tell everyone you know that you're looking for work. Good luck!

If I were in your position I'd be bold and at least consider the "path less travelled"-- this is an opportunity to experiment and see if a change is really what you want/need. The fact that you aren't desperate for the income makes this a perfect time to try on different things. If it doesn't work out, you can go back to the safe route -- just explain the short-term job(s) on your resume in terms of the fact that you were considering a change of field and tried it out and found it wasn't for you and now you want to go back to what you were doing before.

Do be very attentive to the overall work culture/people you will be working with. I took a significant paycut when I changed jobs last time, but it was worth it because it got me out of a desperate situation where I was very unhappy and into a very positive working environment. Literally saved my life.

Good luck and let us know how it goes -- sounds exciting!

The question I have been trying to ask myself lately when pondering such things is: What would you do if you were not afraid?
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    The question I have been trying to ask myself lately when pondering such things is: What would you do if you were not afraid?
    An important point for me tonight. Thank you lhamo as always for your wise words.

Rosie, nothing more to add, but what a gift to have a boss you can trust.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information